Best Slalom/Trick-Ski Boat Under 7k

trickski83

Hello! I'm new to the forum and I'd like your advice on my next boat...

I do mostly slalom and trick skiing. I'd like a boat with a small soft wake between 24 & 29 MPH, no unnerving handling characteristics, and something well built & reliable. I'm a mechanic but I'd rather not have to work on my own vehicles too much. What boat best meets these specifications for $7000 or less?

My local classifieds are loaded with 80s Nautiques, Malibus, and Mastercrafts for around 5-7K. I've only skied behind a couple comp boats, so I don't have enough experience to know what to buy. Also, should I go with a tried and true brand like Nautique, Mastercraft, etc... or would I be wise to look into an off brand like Hydrodyne?

Thanks in advance!!

• Baller

You'll get a variety of answers, of course, but here's my 2¢ (possibly overcharging at that)

• engines and transmissions and basic electronics all tend to be pretty standard.
  • the biggest concern is structural wood in a 20-30 year old boat. If you go with a boat that has structural wood (stringers, floor, transom), it matters a lot how the boat was stored/treated. On a covered lift, or garage kept except when towed-to-the-lake is best.
  • by the mid-80s, I believe Mastercrafts had no structural wood. 80s Mastercraft Prostars tended to have small slalom wakes but small trick wakes as well.
  • it's butt-ugly (in my opinion), but if you look hard enough you might stumble on a Malibu Tantrum in that price range (1994-97, if I recall correctly). Had a cheap windscreen, cheap interior, but was on Malibu's groundbreaking (for the time) SV23 hull, and is the same hull as the (later years) Malibu Sportster. You can get a much newer boat for your dollar (but perhaps because it is so ugly). Also has no structural wood.

Those are the two boats I'd be searching for, if it was me.

• Baller
@trickski83‌ can't speak to how good or bad they were, but they did have wood. Malibu eliminated wood beginning with the Echelon in 93, then the tantrum, the 'new' sunsetters (beginning in 95, I think), and the response.

• Baller
and @Wish is right... if you manage to find an Echelon in that price range, that'd probably be the best investment. They had some kind of proprietary dash computer, so there is a bit of risk there (a little googl'ing/research should tell you how big-or-small of an issue), but a killer boat. Open bow versions will be above your budget, but closed bow can get down towards your $ range.

I wasn't previously familiar with the Echelon, but sounds like a great boat based on my preliminary research. Pretty too. I'm going to put that toward the top of my list. There actually is/was a Tantrum for sale near me, but I have to second your opinion about the asthetics, andjules...

• Baller

Regardless of which boat you end up with, the one defining characteristic I'd look for is an EFI engine. In that price range, you might have to hunt a bit. But you should be able to find one.

The ability to just turn the key and have your boat start no different than your car/truck is amazing. No need to mess around with throttle, etc. For me, that's a must have.

My first boat was a 90 Prostar 190. It had a 351 Ford in it, fiberglass stringers. It suited me just fine up to 35off where the spray became kinda bad. Boat tricked good and of course is one of the best slalom hulls ever built. You should be able to find plenty of these boats running around in your price range.

• Baller

Buy this and any direct drive boat will have a good wake tune-able to any speed you'd like. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Bennett-X-14-Wake-Tab-14W-x-12D&i=71228

My boat feels like someone is taking a jack hammer to my spine with the wakeplate up but when I put it down, it feels more like a friends 2000 SN. I haven't figured out why these aren't more popular but everyone who's been behind my boat loves it when the wakeplate is down and hates it when it's up.

• Baller_
Owned a Ts6m. Boat was light years ahead of its time (80's) in design compared to all others. Skied great. But wood floors and stingers are a draw back. Late 90's they came out with a retro back to the 80's that was all glass.

• Baller
I think you are probably pushing your luck to try to find a boat that is both wood free and efi for that price range. Given your mechanical inclination, I would tend to prioritize wood free and plan on getting something carbed. In that case, the first boat I would be trying to scope out is a 91-95 prostar 190. Even at that, I think you'll be pushing it to get that under 7k, but if you search long enough...

• Baller

A 1994-1996 Ski Nautique is a great trick boat. It is a good slalom boat, but you may not like it if you are used to skiing behind a newer one. The wake on it is flat, but hard. Mine is carbureted, but everyone thinks it is fuel injected by the way it runs. It is a good compromise if you need a boat that does everything. Put Perfect Pass in one and it is a snap to drive. It is still one of the easiest boats to drive if you have to pull someone manually through the course.

There is one for sale on my lake. I think it is a '94. Silver cloud with teal and grey stripes, I think it only has 300 hours on it. I detailed it for the owner last fall. This boat is in mint condition.

My boat has been very reliable. I also have a 1994 Ski Nautique. I have only had to replace 2 steering cables, an alternator, and a muffler through 1700 hours and 20 years of use. The rest has been detailing, tune-ups, and fluid changes.

Not sure what the price would be on a 1994..

• Baller
imho the tantrum was a good looking boat as long as the original graphics were still on it. I'm somewhat biased as you have all guessed i'm sure. Mine had over 800 hours on it when i finally decided i deserved a windshield, it's cold in upstate ny in early and late season.

Wow! I didn't expect to get so many great answers! It sounds like pretty much everyone agrees on the ProStar 190, Eschelon, and TS6M. With 3 boats on my list, I ought to be able to find a good one within a reasonable timeframe! Thank you everyone!!

I'll try to find time to post pictures when I buy... hopefully that's very soon :)

• Baller

I was in the same situation, in my case looking for a 2nd ski tug to leave at the lake house for short cash. I wanted the most slalom and trick boat for well under 10K I could get with NO structural wood and ended up with an 83 MC. 7500 but at concours quality.

Slalom wake is good at all lengths. Not amazingly great or modern, but good. Same with the driving, not amazing or modern feeling but OK. Fairly lousy tracking and lots of spray. Really oddball ergonomics.

In my case I wanted a carb boat so I could fix it if needed at the cabin out in the boonies no matter what goes wrong.

If I were to do it again I'd save a bit more and go for a 93-96 SN. That's the no wake zone hull (90-96) but with no structural wood. Actually I'd even get a 90-92 for the right price with solid stringers. Those boats drive, ski, and track like a modern boat, something I miss a bit with the 83 MC.

• Baller
You might find an (late 80s early 90s) American Skier, TBX or Volante (?) in that price range. Depending on your area and if there was a dealer selling them, there are several around here that seem to be very well built and very nice ski wakes. Of course there are a lot more Mid 80s Mastercrafts still going strong too and ski very well.

They are out there. My 94 centurion is still going strong. It has wood stringers with a lifetime warrantee and when I replaced my carpet last year I looked at the structure as I had read a lot of threads on nautiques getting new stringers. I took it to a well respected fiberglass shop to look at it and they drilled a couple holes and all is still as original according to them. They then repaired the holes and new carpet went down.

• Baller

Do be suspicious of boats listed cheaper than they should be...lots of scammers out there. Just helped my bro source a boat and came across a number of scams. Some are really overt and obvious, some others offer a boat in pristine condition and it's out there for a few grand less than expected. Hard to not think wow what a good deal.

Based on this, be suspicious of anyone selling for sad story reasons. Anyone who claims they cannot physically meet you and show you the boat. Anyone asking for some kind of wire transfer through ebay buyer protection or amazon services as a 3rd party. Anyone offering to ship you the boat as part of the deal (other than perhaps a reputable dealer) especially if there is some sort of guarantee to take it back if not as expected. It's all a bunch of poo.

This all seems terribly obvious...but on one of 'em my bro who is not a slow guy and holds a high level exec job almost bit. He told me what he was arranging on a boat and I was like "NO, NO!" This is not razorskier1 by the way...I have 5 brothers (along with 4 sisters...crazy huh?).

He now owns a nice Nautique.

• Administrators

@rico The Ghost Boat is a 91 or 93 MC PS190.... I should know what year it is since I own it.

Best trick wake ever and for a Perfect Pass boat nothing is better for slalom. I think T$ once said about that boat "it is like Free buoys".

• Baller
The 94 is a great ski boat, I am behind one often I don't think there was a better slalom MC until this year. The late 80s were well made but a rough ride and are known on our lake as the "Aqua Massages' due to marble to near golf ball size spray pelting the skiers in any type of wind! OUCH

• Baller_
Just skied behind a 1993 Stars and Stripes 190 at our club ski league. Very nice pull and soft wake for slalom - even slower speeds and longer lines. It is 285HP with a 4 blade and it gets the job done. I actually prefer ZO over PP, but that boat skied great.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Agreed, 91-94 Prostar. Paid $6,500 for my '91 the summer before last, with 400hrs. The slalom wake rivals anything built today, IMO, but the spray can get a bit hairy at times...just don't ski in a heavy head wind:)

I also suggest an early 90's Prostar. You can usually get them for for really cheap especially if the interior is trashed and you are willing to put in a weekend or two's worth of work with seat repair and new carpet. I've bought and resold a few over the last 6 years.