ski size and suggestions

I would like some suggestions on a new ski size and brand/model, I am 6' 250lbs. Last time I skied I was on a 66" Obrien and 225lbs. I know I need a bigger ski however I don't want to buy a ski to use just for this summer and after that be able to ski out of its capability. I have had a few people suggest a Radar Senate, or a P6.

• Supporting Member
I don't know all the brands and models, but my one suggestion is: Don't buy an old ski. There have been dramatic improvements in ski technology recently. And many modern skis, including very hard-core shortline ones, are a bit wider than they used to be, which is helpful at your size.

• Baller

Chris, the senate is a high-end tournament ski for 34mph skiers. It is virtually a vapor that is a wee bit wider--the vapor is designed for 36mph. The theory is a hybrid cross-over ski that performs well on the course as well as being a great free-skiing ski. The p6 is like the theory, but for bigger gents. Easier to get up, and less drag.

An important thing to note is this: ALL major companies that design skis have phenomenal products. You really won't go wrong. And the technology is so far advanced than it was even 7 years ago.

Guys like me can make any ski look bad, and the majority of ballers here couldn't tell you the difference between the higher-end skis. There are a few elite skiers who know exactly what their ski does and doesn't do. The rest of us are all here for the ride, working endlessly to chase after the elites of the sport.

The same can be said of sports cars. The average joe like me couldn't tell you the difference in feel between a ferrari or a porsche or a mcClarin, or a Lamberghini, but you put a guy like @SkiJay in any of those cars, and he could write a book about the differences.

Bottom line, if we can't ski like the elites, at least we can sure as hell look like them while waiting for a set, holding up our beautiful babies for all the world to see!!

• Baller
I am your size. Used a 68" up to about 230 with decent success. If looking at a regular shaped ski, 69" and longer should be fine, but I don't think D3 makes them that long. The 69 Senate C is a nice blend of performance and comfort,,as it is slightly wider under the feet and in the tail. I ran a stock SC into 38 a couple years ago before I picked up an extra 25 and had some physical setbacks. I am testing a 67.5 6.1 now and don't think it is big enough. Also, I may have a 69" Senate C prototype (made like a Strada with PVC core) that I would let go.