Dual-Lock Adhesive Repair?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

Can it be done? I've got a couple of so-far-very-small spots where its peeling away from the ski and wondering if there some adhesive I could stick in there and then clamp it.

I imagine both superglue and epoxy could work, but I also fear those would genuinely be permanent and ultimately damage my ski someday where I need to change out this Dual-Lock.

Anybody know what adhesive might actually work for this?

• Baller

@‌Than_Bogan

I would not risk it if it were me. When I use to use it (Reflex now) I replaced it twice a season, regardless of the condition. Too much you can't see with that system. If you use the clear, you can see bubbles or bad spots, but the clear peels easily. I fell once, released, tried to snap it back together only to find both halves still attached down one edge. This was with 6 month old clear 250.

• Baller
I do not use dual lock on my ski since 2008, I switch to Reflex Bonds and now back to inserts. I have been using 250 to 400 like you @Than_Bogan‌ and I think that the black-dark gray type holds better on the ski. The clear one sometimes does not stick to the ski that well and the black-white is very difficult to clean the adhesive residues when it needs to be replaced. The split in half between the top stem part and the bottom adhesive part can happen to all three types. I think you better use the black type and when a you have a split just replace that part only. I use white spirit to clean the ski but you have to be careful not to wet the good parts, it destroys the adhesive instantly.

• Supporting Member

Great info! I have used only the black tape in the past and it was a huge pain to remove (but doable with ultimately nothing left behind). I thought I had learned here that clear was the way to go, but I'll happily go back to the familiar black. In fact, I'm almost positive I have enough for a small replacement, and I can order some more for a future do-over.

Thanks guys!