Slalom course sight seeing in South Dakota

fu_man

• Baller
So we are doing the Clark Griswold family vacation. Made the all day trek from Chicagoland to Mt Rushmore today. Lots of small ponds/borrow pits along I-90. As I drove, I entertained myself with thoughts of "hmm, I wonder if a slalom course would fit on this one, etc. (Yea, its a long drive.) I passed a pit with the red and yellow buoys all lined up and practically shouted "A slalom course!" about as excited as the kids would be seeing Rushmore or Disney etc. and got the "That's great, dear" look from the wife. Couldn't believe that someone had the same thought as I did! It looks like a pit that was formally dug for 3 event about 10 minutes east of Rapid City maybe on someone's ranch. Not sure if it belongs to anyone on here but looked like a nice site.

• Baller
  • Baller

Yep that's the one. Will be coming back home through Iowa so I'll keep my eyes peeled for those others.

You can probably imagine at the end of a full day driving witht the kids in tow... I was salivating for a set when I saw it

• Baller
Several years ago I had the Griswold deal going in the Black Hills and struck up a conversation at a gas station with a guy in a Mastercraft Promo Team jacket (had my Nautique sweatshirt on, of course). Turned out this guy's brother skied with mine in Atlanta- it's a very small world. Anyway, he asked me if I knew of anywhere to find a ski ride and I told him I had no idea, except for the man-made ski lake about 50 miles or so to the east. Somehow ran into this guy two days later and, suer enough, he had driven over there and they gave him a pull.

• Baller
Thru Iowa you would catch one just south of Waterloo called Eagle Lake. Tougher to see from interstate these days as the trees are getting taller than when I used to ski there. If I remember right not far past there you would catch 20 heading east, thru Dubuque and onward to Rockford, then Chicago. Not sure your route but to Chicago from my hometown of Dyersville in eastern IA we took 20.

• Baller
I've been working in Kearney NE, flying into Omaha, so I drive past a ton of those little "borrow lakes" they dug to make the overpasses. I always do a quick computation: 75 miles per hour gives me 100 feet per second. Anything that I get to 18-22 Mississippi counting should have a slalom course on it(at least that's how it should be in my head). So far, I haven't found one. Depth may be a factor, otherwise they are wasting a state/federally paid for free ski lake. Makes me sad

• Members

I skied the lake in New Underwood, SD tonight with 2 of the owners. If anyone lives near here they have a few lots for sale. Great guys, passionate about finding a few skiers to move in. Contact me if you want their contact infokhstr4ga7r8d.jpg