XTT slot settings to caliper

addkerr

• Baller

Hi,

Just got my new XTT and trying to figure out what stock settings are with a regular caliper.

No personal experience with Goode and settings and heard a lot of mixed thoughts on conversion numbers. Any help?

Stock on goode site :

6.932"

2.449"

.749"

• Administrators

@addkerr

The slot number should not be very different than you would get from the head of a caliper. I just checked with my Nano One and I get basically the same reading. The point of the slot is that you can not screw it up.

• Baller
My ski partner who got a XTT sent to him by Dave Goode is running tips 6.937, 2.450, .742. Which is pretty close to what they call Stock. Where he did differ is that he's moved the front binding back at Dave Goode's instruction as he's gotten sets on it. He's now at 28 5/8 instead of 29.25.

• Baller
The only thing when not using a slot caliper is you have to pinch the very end of the caliper to the ski. If it follows the bottom tail of the ski, it will measure longer than a slot caliper. This is for skis that taper up to the butt. If it is flat behind the fin, should be the same. The slot follows the bottom and does not typically follow the taper of the tail.

• Baller

Can we unequivalently say:

Rule #1- tips are tips, unless you have a messed up caliper. Always measure with tips when trading settings with another skier. .

Rule #2- tips are not equal to jaws. Jaws rest on the tunnel of the ski so therefore are always shorter than tips, even if your caliper does not have an offset on the jaw.

• Baller_

To add to AB post, and the answer is Yes:

Rule #3: Jaws are not = across various calipers as some jaws surfaces at the root are flush to tips and others not. The jaw is not an industry recognized surface to be used for taking measurements. More importantly, a jaws measurement is not a true L measurement of the fin at the base of the ski.

As AB noted, one can use jaws measurements for your own personal use as it is a fast and easy way to get a dimension.

Done correctly, it should be given with the distance up from base similar to a camshaft duration measurement is given (xxx degrees of duration @ .050" lift). So for a ski, it would be xxx long at xxx up from base.

The chances of the jaws measurement on the XT, XTT, XTM, XTW correlating to the true tips with the same differential (and real length) of the fin are remote at best unless the caliper rests exactly the same height up from the base of the ski at the fin for each of the different width skis.

• Baller
The only other thing I would add on the subject is that Kris Lapoint used the tail end of the caliper to measure the DFT. He explained, and I agree, that it is really the only way to follow the contour of the ski bottom consistently. No mortals use this, so it is kind of a useless number, except for personal use. The slot fin is probably the next best thing, but that does not measure along the ski bottom, as the back of it is slightly suspended in air if the ski tail slopes upward to the tail.

• Baller_

@AB: EZ Fin tool is a jig that allows a true measurement for DFT to the tail of the ski.

@Scot: the difference between jaws and tips is not a constant for any fin change as the point your are measuring has curvature. That delta is only good for that particular point and the difference varies for the adjustment, particularly if you do a diagonal adjustment.

• Baller
I will leave you guys to talk about the fin. I rode a prototype 66.5 XTT for a good while this spring. It seems factory binding location was 29.5", but it was much better at 29.25". If you want a ski that brings a smile to your face on wake crossings this is it. Reminded me of the old skis that were like lightning across course!

• Baller
Had a few sets on the XTT now. Agree with @MrJones‌ this ski is great fun. Ran the bindings forward and back and have settled at 29.25" front and my rear r boot slightly further back than I have been running. This ski snaps around the turn so dam quick that you better be ready to hang on. Thanks for the insight guys on the settings. Found a good base that I can work on. Also found someone with a slot that is coming up to check what I'm on at some point, and will report back on my personal difference between tips and slot. Thanks Again guys.

• Baller
@DW‌, agree, I have one, but no one publishes EZFT DFT specs, as it is slightly different than the slot or standard measures, from hitting the tail further up on the ski if the butt is not 90 degrees to the bottom. It is highly repeatable for the individual user though and I love the 2" spacer. I bought one after losing my Schnitz spacer in the middle of our lake. Good investment in my opinion, and should be in everyone's bag.