First Time on Tricks! Need some guidance

BrennanKMN

• Baller

This weekend was my first time on a pair of trick skis. My word that is fun, but there is a lot of time waiting for the boat to come back around!

I got a pair of old 1980’s Kidder 42” skis. I got up on two a few times and got my feet under me and by the end of the weekend I was getting up on one. The skis have just the standard adjustable rubber boots. I was skiing at 16 MPH using the 28 off loop on my slalom line.

While I don’t expect to be amazing I was surprised how hard it was to balance. I have been water skiing on a slalom ski for years and have been slalom ski racing in the winter for even longer. I always thought my balance was pretty good. Every time I would even go past 45* for a slide I would lose the ski right in front of me and fall backwards. A few times I fell forwards even! I was keeping the handle low and close to my hips but no matter what I did I could not rotate that ski without it coming out from under me.

I have never seen anyone trick before so I have no idea what I am doing right or wrong. I am just trying to teach myself. My question is would I benefit from a larger newer ski? (I am 6 feet and 150 lbs) Do I need to use an actual trick rope with no stretch? Are there any good resources I can use to teach myself some basic trick skills?

I appreciate any help you can offer. I would love to learn how to trick ski, but I need some guidance from some people who know what they are doing.

Thanks!

• Baller

Welcome to the wonderful world of tricking! The most important thing is to just have fun with it. Daffys, spread eagles, helicopters and flips - forget the points and just play. If you can get a buddy, skiing two at a time for spray wars and add a trick is great fun. Oh, your skills (including on the slalom) will improve just by playing.

If you are sitting in the water a lot, train your driver and yourself to do show ski pickups where the boat never comes off a plane (warning, it takes a lot of skill to execute. Be careful and aware). Don't worry about rollers, just get back up as fast as possible. You will fall a lot.

Regarding skis, while it is the skier not the ski, your learning curve with a new ski will be better. D3 hardedge, Goode or Quantum (all as big as you can get, 43+) are proven skis to learn with (UCLA just got Radars and so far they are loving it so there may be another option). Another fun ski option is to ride a wakeboard (no fins). The wakeboard will teach you basic rope handling and balance - a nice first step. Spend time on the trick ski as well. You will absolutely need a trick rope when you get to toe tricks, before that the webbing is helpful for helicopters and the quick pickups.

Regarding instruction, get some coaching! College teams, junior development programs or just hanging out with other trickers is very helpful. Ski schools are worth the time and money.

Specific to your comments, you are leaning on the rope too much and you have too much weight on your back foot. I haven't seen you ski but everybody makes those mistakes. Balance as if you are surfing and just use the rope to pull you along.

Have fun with it,

Eric

• Baller

Sorry, no videos. If you have two skiers and one falls, carefully spin the boat with the remaining skier on the outside. This gives the standing skier a whip which allows a much slower boat speed. The fallen skier's rope will go to the inside and will be moving slowly on the inside of the turn. The driver needs to place the handle right at the fallen skier. Caution, if the boat is too close to the fallen skier, the rope will drag across the skier in an unsafe fashion - stop the boat! If everything works right the skier will grab the slow moving handle or webbing before the whipped skier sinks in and the fall is of little consequence. Plus it's fun for the kids. The driver must make it safe. Make sure everyone knows what the driver will do and what everyone needs to do. It's a challenging maneuver which everyone needs to practice to make it safe and practical. Try it at your own risk.

Eric

Hi Bennan, may russian give you some trick advises.

Fist of all your skis is good, while you use pair of skis you don't need to go for 43. If you want to renew you inventory don't look for quantum, reflex, good and d3. They are greate, but for pro's. Better take this http://www.obrien.com/product/pro-trac-tricks/, speacially for beginner with grooves all acoss surfase, wich stabilise you.

Second is rope length. Your position is right nex to boat spray in flat smooth spot (if you use waterski inboard it should be there). Find rope length in this spot for you comfortale speed.

Third. Tricks. Sit down, you position should be really low. When you sit low center of mass is lower you more stable. When you try to make side slide a skis became twice slipper. Try to turn back (180) it is easier. And when you make tricks it is like in snow skiing: you always should load and unload you skis. Unload-trick-load.

Have a nice time on water!

• Baller

Thanks for all the advice!

I will try and work more on my balance. It is a whole new feeling! Like learning to walk all over again.

Would it be unwise to just have one foot in the boot on the ski? That would force me to keep my weight on my front (left) foot.

I might see if I can get a used ski next year. I agree with you, it is not the ski but the skier. One question I have though is if I get a 43" ski will that be too big after I get decent at tricking? I don't want to go spend $$$ just to have to re-spend it after I learn a little more. Money is hard to come by being a college student and all.

I'd love to get some coaching time, but it seams up here in the mid-west (Minnesota) it is hard to find a legitimate coach.

Thanks again and hope to learn a lot out on the water trickin'!

• Baller

43" is a good length in these skis no matter what. You will be fine at any skill level on a modern ski.

One footed skiing is one of the playing exercises you should do. Critical for line tricks, helpful for toe tricks and I make my wildest recoveries on one foot. But you will spend a lot of time with both feet in - make it work. Your back foot should just be along for the ride weight wise but it is useful for stability.

Start a college team, go to some college tournaments and you will find lots of good local resources. Plus you will have great fun. Go on the USAWaterski site to find your local college liasons. Jeff Rush is our guy out west, Jeff Surdej is involved in the midwest. The website has good information or call headquarters for more help. College skiing rocks!

Eric