What are some ski options for beginning 34mph 215 lb skier?

Vernon Reeve

• Baller

I'm currently on a 69" HO Triumph and can run 30mph with ease and can run 32mph but not with ease, it feels like the ski doesn't slow down unless I really crank it, and have done 4 at 34mph but the ski is really not slowing down. I tried a 66" Goode Wide Ride but the deep water start about pulled my arms out, and think I strained my biceps. It worked great once I got up on it, but don't look forward to the deep water starts. So I think I should look for a used 68" or 69" Senate, Senate C or something similar. Or should I stay on the Triumph until I can make 34mph consistently (is this even possible?). What would you recommend?

• Baller

I have been on a Triumph 69" and have been transitioning to a 69" hO Coefficient SL. The deep starts have been difficult because the ski is 1 inch narrower, but the turns are amazing. The main thing I have found with deep starts is get the ski as flat to the water as possible. Tuck that rear foot up and pressure on the forward foot. I found for me, I need a progressive start or my arms are ripped off or I fly over the top of the ski. I use the power grip. Say in gear, get that ski flat to the water as the boat pulls me and hit it. I tell the driver to advance the throttle smoothly, one one thousand, two one thousand full. With the CoX I even put it up on the wake board tower at first(Wimpy I know) to get the feel for the ski.

Any performance ski is going to be narrower and harder to get up on except for a Carbon V or a Wide ride. I have a Carbon V for sale. Easier to get up on for sure. It is a 34 MPH ski.

• Baller

Double high wrap bindings make deep water starts more difficult. The back boot prevents your ankle from bending enough to tuck the back foot up to you butt as @commuterfisher said. If your using double boots, think about switching to a RTP.

• Baller

Most standard 68" skis should work for you and the 69 Senate C (I have one on Ski it Again).

The 69 Wide Ride skis will be tough to ski at 34, as they were designed to ski at slower speeds.

I am about 220 right now was down to 195 last summer but as high as 230 probably a couple years ago and ride a 68" Radar Strada. I would say that for 215 a standard 68" ski should be about right. I really don't have much issue at all on deep water starts with any ski that I've tried.

I still ski 36mph for tournaments and get into 28off in practice on occasion. Though for fun just the other night I skied 1 @ 35off @ 32mph just to change things up for a set (thanks AB for the tip).

This all to say that deep water starts don't have to be difficult (think about trying to flatten out the ski to get it pop up on the water faster) if you kind of sink down and have the ski more straight up and down, any ski is going to be more difficult to get up on. Also for your weight any standard ski will work good for you. Like AB said as you get up to 34 and working on shorter line lengths will be more difficult to ski.

I also meant to mention that I think about not using my arms at all on the starts. All I think about is letting my arms out and not pulling in while getting up. Instead of fighting the boat with my arms and back I kind of become a ball and the boat just pulls my entire body up as one unit and I pop on top of the water.

• Baller

At 215 and skiing at 34 mph a 68" ski should work for you. I am 225 right now and have skied this year on a 68" Helix and a 66.75" Nano 1. Last year at about 218-220 I skied on a 66" Goode Mid and they all worked for me even at 32 mph and 22 off (the Nano felt a little small at 225 and 32 mph).

The Triumph will run 34 mph no problem. When I first got back into skiing I ran 34/15 on an HO Charger which is their 69" wide ride ski much wider than the Triumph.

Regarding deep water starts your biceps should never bother you. If your biceps hurt you are trying to pull yourself out of the water which you should never do. On the deep water starts keep your arms out straight and let the boat pull you out of the water. Make sure to do what @lagdawg says about flattening the ski out to get out of the water.