How many "warm up" passes do you have

Ilivetoski

• Baller
I have been told over the past week that I need more passes before my hardest pass, more warm up passes, slower starting speed, however you want to look at it. So I am wondering how many passes you guys take before what you consider is your hardest pass (not hardest that you can run, the pass that it usually comes to a stop at).

• Baller
I agree with @shaneh. Most of the ski schools recommend the same. It should not be about your fitness so why not get into a good rhythm. Even the big dawgs do 3-4 before they get to their money passes.

• Baller

I go off the dock at 23mph/15off then 24.9mph/15 then I really have to start working it at 26.7mph.. 28mph is a crapshoot. Everyone needs their opener to be the one they can run when its white-capping and raining. You don't have your opener dialed, you don't have anything. I watched ppl fly to Australia, train all year, and blow their opener... I decided that's never happening to me.

• Members
Depends on the wind. In tournaments if there is no wind or a tailwind on the first pass, I start at 28 to get three passes before 38, which I have been running less than 25%. If there is a head wind off the dock, I start at 32 to get 38 in the head wind. In practice, I usually start at 32 unless I haven't skied in a few days. Horton is correct that 28 doesn't correlate to 38, except that basic body position and things like keeping your head level (my biggest problem) can be worked on at any pass.

• Baller

I'd be interested to see what other guys think, but I feel like some of the highly experienced skiers (a lot of which are on this forum) can get away with starting closer to their toughest passes. Using @Horton as an example he has probably run 32' hundreds, if not thousands, of times. He has years and years of muscle memory in that pass. It is a no brainer for him. On the contrary a guy who may have a similar PB (I'm guessing into 39'), but not run nearly as many passes over the years might want to start at 28'...?...?

Personally I'm actually trying to cut back on my number of passes. I ran a set in a tournament this year from a 32/15 opener into 36/35 (7 passes)....I guess I was trying to get my entry fee back in gas used! I've only been course skiing for 3 years and I still sometimes feel like I need those early passes. I now typically only do it for my 1st set of a 3 round tourney, and then start a little shorter for the other 2.

FWIW...I'm now shooting for my 4th or 5th pass to be my toughest....

• Baller

Two. and that's a breakthrough... I only had one for a couple of years.

My season is so short, it's usually half way through before I'm in tolerable skiing shape. I don't want to be four passes in—starting to feel my arms and lungs—before I start working on what I really want to be working on.

I run -22/34 easy. I start there, as -15 wouldn't really add anything to my warm up... it would just expend energy I'll be wanting when I'm working at -32. Up until the second half of this season, -28 was always a challenge. I'd run it almost every set, but rarely without a bit of scrambling, and not off-the-dock as often as I'd have liked. Finally, recently, as long as the conditions are good and I've got my head on straight, it's become easy.

• Baller

For me I try and set up my 4th pass as the pass I may or may not run. I think what is more important than that is starting at a line length or speed where you know you can't miss it, even if you really screw up. Also setting a good pace for the set is key.

I have seen @richarddoane‌ go out at 22 off one round and 32 off another round.

• Baller
@Horton hit on something that impacts me, but in a longer line length. To explain, early in the season I start practice sets at 22. As I get back little by little I try a few 35's. Once I'm more comfortable I drop 22 and start at 28. Almost immediately (couple of sets) my starts at 35 get much better. My take from that is 22 does nothing for me at 35 and may even be detrimental. They are nothing alike.

• Supporting Member

My plan has always been:

1) true warmup. Only miss if royally screw up multiple times.

2) easy -- almost never miss

3) hard -- should make but perhaps can't overcome too many mistakes

4) reach -- small but not quite zero chance to complete

5) miracle -- never even gotten close in practice

For quite a while now, this plan has mapped to -28 to -39. But earlier in my career it was other passes. At the very beginning (1995ish), #4 was 36 mph, so that dictated that #1 was 30mph and #5 (on those lucky days) was -22.

If I ever start running -39 in practice, even once a season, I'll probably bump up to starting at -32. But barring that miraculous 4-buoy improvement, -28 looks to be my starting pass for a long time.

Of course, I will start at -22 or -32 if I'm trying to set up some wind. I don't practice -22 at all, but I've run it in tournaments a few times. Just take it real easy and ignore the fact that I'm in the air half the time...

• Baller
In general I am the same as @Than_Bogan‌ but different line lengths. I usually start at 34/22 and when skiing to my norm run mid-deep 35. Last season 32 was about an 80% proposition for me. Early season or if I want to set up for the wind I might run 32/22. I haven't tried going off the dock at 28.

• Baller
Let me explain why I am asking, start of the season through mid july I started at 34 -22 and I had run 32 off 1 maybe 2 times. Then after the head to head cash prize tournament in Paducah I dropped 34 and made 36 my opener. Now my tournament scores have gone way up and I run 32 every set. My collegiate coaches are telling me to go back to 34... I will not get into the big details of it because the whole thing blew up into something it should not have, but their point is that I have to run my opener 100% of the time (which this season I have not missed. I have 1 score of 5 buoys but I had to go off the dock at 28 off which was at the time a pass a barely ran in tourneys). I am trying to figure out where everyone starts so I can view this with as much knowledge as I can get.

• Supporting Member

So to be concrete in my proposal, if you are running -32 "in every set" then I think I'd label it as the "hard" pass, especially if you've ever run -35 or at least done pretty deep. So then I'd want to see:

36/-22

36/-28

36/-32

36/-35

36/-38 (on a great day)

If you wanted to start at 34/-22 I wouldn't argue, but I certainly think a 36/-22 start is reasonable, especially since at your age you're probably only getting better.

• Baller

22/36 - I can run with stupid stupid mistakes

28/36 - I can run with stupid mistakes

32/36 - I can run with mistakes (damn you tournaments)

35/36 - should be getting a handful. Miracle if I run it in a tournament

38/36 - 1 or 2 here and I'm on cloud 9

22/36 is good for you @Ilivetoski‌ I think having you only ski once.

15 & 22 are nothing like 28 &32 but you have to start somewhere... To me 15 is a "junk line" and I almost feel this way about 22.. I ski 22/34 in March, April then drop it and don't look back. Its late in the season you should be fine and have plenty of tournament experience. Do you get as much practice while at school? This could be a factor, if your coaches are looking or a safety score. Who do you ski for?

• Baller
Great discussion. In practice for many years I have always started at 34/22. This year I have not been solid with my third pass at 34/32. I need to make my 34/22 my 4th pass. Mentally struggling with what to change my start to, 34/15 or 32/22. 34/15 has way too much rope, and 32/22 feels way too slow. I always make either one. Since starting for so long at 34/22 I dont feel like I get into a rhythym with either one. I have knuckle headed it and just kept my start at 34/22. I have head tripped myself and blown a few openers at competitions. I know I need a guaranteed pass to start at tournaments. I need to make a change. Still bouncing between 34/15 and 32/22.

Not that i am that good of a skier but here is my humble contribution to this interesting thread:

Typically start 1 speed bump below (32mph)

So it goes:

22/32

22/33

22/34

25/34 (I have a progressor rope)

28/34

On heavenly Days:

30/34

On miracle days:

32/34

Once in my life:

2@35@34

I find it pleasant to start "slow" in order to have time to set things right and then bump up the speed.

i also love the progressor rope system, although I know it is nothing similar to tournaments, but I don't care much for tournaments, I ski for my own pleasure and prefer to stay in control and smooth at lower speeds / longer lenghts than looking for PB's on every set.

You guys who are skiing into -32 but starting at a slower speed, I am not sure about that... I noticed that as I took 32 mph, and then most of 34 mph out of my practice that skiing at 36 MPH got easier, changing your gates for each of the speeds has to be hurting you...