On side turn

Deanoski

• Baller

here is my question if you want a faster/quicker turn on your on side, what fin wove would you make? I get slack at the end of turn it only happens at -35 and 38 slight hesitation on 246 rrf skier. just a little slack, just want a quicker hook up on my onside.

I have moved rear binding back and it still happens

What move would you do?

67 vapor 29/34 fb 17 3/4 bb 2478 6.866 74.5 9 wing off side is amazing.

thx

Deano

• Baller

Increase dft. But, you could be turning too fast into slack line. In that case, less dft.

Other things, reduce fin length. Back binding back. Depends on what is happening elsewhere.

Everything you do to improve onside will hurt offside some.

• Baller

maybe you dont want the turn to finish faster at all. if your getting slack at the end of the on side turn it could be that you want the boat to get farther away from you before you hook up so there is no slack. but if you crank a turn faster than the boat can run away from you you'll always be skiing into slack. in a article called ' the dreaded tail turn ' chris rossi talks about the optimal turn to keep the line tight and how if you chose to turn too soon you will turn into slack. third paragraph check it out -

http://www.slalomguru.com/articles.php?article=tail

• Baller

Will post some vid when I get a chance. Im not a tail turn move front foot pressure turner

Im being picky skiing better this season than ever run -35 90% off the time getting 3-4 at -38 in practice been to 5 ball twice.(I know worst score ever)

just have a slight hesitation out of 246 RFF. AB may be right I was at 75.0 dft now at 74.5 I will move it back some more to see if it helps. It may be to fast.

Deano

• Baller

Hi @Deanoski‌.

I'm a big fan of adjusting a ski to work well with someone's sound consistent technique rather than the other way around, but in the case where someone has a smokin' off-side but issues with the on-side, I'm leaning more towards suggesting technique changes these days.

A ski has to be tuned fairly well to make great off-side turns, and if it turns great on the off-side, it will generally turn great on the on-side too--IF the skier rides the on-side more like they ride their off-side.

Cranking the back of the ski around an on-side turn by forcing it to smear more with the rear leg is an old-school concept that was necessary with early ski designs. Pretty much any well-tuned modern ski can turn great on the off-side so long as the skier keeps the front of the ski properly engaged with the water from the pre-turn into the cut. Call it staying ahead of the ski, riding the tip, getting up over your front foot, or whatever, working the front of the ski is the key to good off-side turns, and working the front of the ski will deliver greatness on the on-side--it's even easier to do (other than that whole breaking old habits thing).

Rotating bindings, moving the rear binding back, reducing fin area with less length or depth, or moving the fin forward in order to get a better on-side will likely compromise a great working off-side. Why would we want to make the most awkward turn even harder? A great off-side is the wholly grail!

Sometimes undermining one turn to make the other turn better is an effective way to achieve symmetry, and sometimes a ho-hum setup that's at least symmetrical is an improvement over always failing on one side. But if the ski is already turning an amazing off-side, then this same ski is also capable of turning an amazing on-side. Compromising this great setup is short sighted.

The longer-term higher-performance perspective on this problem would be to tune the ski's off-side to perfection, then perfect the way you ski your on-side for that setup.

• Baller
@Deanoski -my point was not to say you are tail turning that is just the title of rossis article. if you read the third paragraph you will see he says taking any kind of turn that follows the wrong path can mess you up and turning too soon or too fast will buy you slack whether your on the tail or not.

• Baller
13 minutes ago, Blofeld said:
14 minutes ago, Blofeld said:

Seems like fin forward would help the ski smear early and keep the line tighter at apex

Could be the case or make the ski taking a narrower line and ski buoy to buoy and gives you a faster feeling and end up turning more down corse.. there is definitely an optimal fin setup You have to find what works for you… want to say that it is not that simple, like moving fin forward is the solution for all..

• Baller_

Best thing I ever did for an onside turn was put a plastic/nylon washer under the middle screw between the fin box and the top surface of the ski on one side to make the depth just a hair shallower there.  Put it on the right side of the ski for LFF and on the left side for RFF.  The Denali dudes were doing this a while back and even had an adjustment knob to turn to modify it without pulling the fin box.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.