Best way to ship a ski

XR6Hurricane

• Baller
I have to go to Tennessee for work in a few weeks and the vendor I'm visiting is an avid skier. He has already "threatened" to take me skiing, which would be great. Thinking of taking my own ski with so I'm on one that I'm familiar with. Was thinking of just boxing it up with some padding and FedEx'ing it down there a few days before. Anyone have any opinion about whether this is better/safer than checking it on a plane in a hard case?

• Baller

I'd rather have it with me in a hard case. That said I fly enough that my bags are free. Last year I took my hard case with me (slalom, sometimes trick ski and sometimes survey equipment with my slalom ski) many times. I'd estimate my hard case was under the plane at least 65-70 segments. One time the hard case was not bucked closed, once it had a dent on the too but didn't get to the ski. And a couple times it wasn't closed as much as it should be but I never had any plane damage. My travel schedule had been similar for the past 2-1/2 years so knock on wood I can avoid any damage.

Side note, where are you going in TN? Several great sites down there.

Just received a new ski from performance with zero issues via FedEx or UPS?? I would not us an airline baggage service for my ski but you do have to deal with not having it before you leave and after you return if you use fedex or UPS.

Those with connections can get free replacements but I, would be stuck dealing with an airline who won't pay for damages.

YMMV.

• Baller
I think, all in, you can ship your ski safely for about $30 counting packaging. Take your bindings off and pack them in your bag with you on the plane. Much cheaper than checking it on the plane in a hard case. Just ship it, insured, with a guaranteed delivery of the day before you get there (to be safe).

I always ship my ski wherever I go rather than fly with it. In my experience UPS/FedEx are gentler with packages than airlines are; and you get tracking numbers so you can follow it all the way. If you order a ski from a retailer they send it to you in a box through UPS/FedEx and that's the same way that it gets to them from the manufacturer. I buy a new ski every other year or so and they always arrive at my house just fine in a cardboard box with some bubble wrap. If you want to go the extra mile, stuff the box full of newspaper so that the ski doesn't jostle around in transit.

• Baller_
If it's a long stay, ship it. Ship it blank, as said above, with boot's packed in your bag. If you want a much stronger box (lets call it a box tube), cut one side off and tape the 3 remaining sides back together and make it a triangle tube. Way stronger then a square tube. Less likely to get crushed down. Bubble rap the ski with the kind that has the huge bubbles. Tight fit is better then loose and sliding around. If you can get one of these before your travels, it is hands down the best fin protector out there and it's cheap. It's called the Fin Firkin. Found at http://www.shortline-sports.com/