Jump Ski Sizing

kfennell

So the ski size charts say that I should be on a 92" ski at 200+ lbs. But I am kind of struggling with my jumping and I am only in the 55-70 foot range. I think I am on the verge of a breakthrough and will soon be jumping 80+ though. What size ski should I be on?

• Baller
We need some jumpers to chime in on this. Unless you're pretty well in control the long boards can get you in real trouble off the ramp. Tips too high over the back you go, tips low out he front you go. Wind resistance against that much surface area is pretty significant.

• Baller_
@Kfennell. 55-75 feet? 92 " skis are going to be rather big for your ability. 82" or 84" will work a whole lot better and will allow for for a safer progression and easier to turn and ride. When you can jump better then 100' you might want to try a 88"-90" skis.

Kevin, what is the nature of your "struggle"? Just wondering if you are having trouble riding out landings, landing right side up, or what. Since you have already tried a range of sizes, were you as comfortable on the longer skis? I'm talking about skiing on the water, jumping wakes, cutting around etc. If so, I would consider getting the longer ski. Which ever way you go, time on the water is key. You must feel supremely confident on your approach to the ramp.

So my deal is mostly with having my butt drag on the ramp which makes it hard to land on my toes. I really like the larger skis better, except in one case which is in a medium or higher headwind I have trouble getting far enough forward to fight the wind. I am very comfortable out on the water on the big skis they are definitely the best. I ski at least one riding a set a day and I can cut in a nice strong position.

I have a variety of different things that happen when I hit the ramp though...

1. I dont load through the ramp and lose my hands to the boat up the ramp, go out the back.

2. I rock onto my heels on the ramp, go out the back but not so bad.

3. I do everything great I get to the apex looking like a jumper and my hands just stay where they are and my body leaves them behind, its hilarious to watch im told :(

I am getting to where I am 90% #3 now so at least I'm not getting hurt anymore, but I am landing pretty far back on my heels.

All things you've surely heard before -

1 - Think of going up the ramp like going up a set or stairs - lean back and you'll fall back. Even walking up the stairs slowly you "lean into" them.

2 - Your right foot is like a gas pedal -be sure to "push on the gas" all the way thru the ramp.

3 - Work on taking your right hand and try and drive it to yor left knee from the 2nd wale all the way thru the ramp. Keep your shoulders square to generate the torque. In other words, think about getting the handle to your left knee but using your trunk not just your hands.

4 - When you land keep your feet together and imagine jumping off a picnic table - land on your toes.

I think the above will make more of a difference than ski size. I'd use what you have.

• Baller
The single best bit of jump coaching I have ever received was from Freddie. He said try to push your knees to the tips of the skis. It may sound exaggerated but it works. Shoulders over hips, hips over ankles and knees pressed forward. Try it.