Reflex release repair

MrJones

• Baller

My Reflex release is showing some wear after 4 years. Skidawg noticed a lot of movement in the boot when we were at Cedar Ridge. I looked at my set up this weekend and found that the holes in the bottom of the release where it attaches to the mounting blocks are worn out to an oblong shape and are pretty thin in a couple of spots.

My question is can you replace just the metal frame part without replacing the spring/release assembly? The whole thing runs about $150, but I hate to spend that if you can just replace the bracket part.

• Baller

Reflex says this: "For the maintenance of your release mechanism, we recommend changing the spring and the screw every two (2) seasons. If you ski in salt water, change it every year."

My Reflex started doing weird releases exactly two years after I bought it. I just replaced the whole mechanism, because it had been in the saltish water in Acapulco. While $150 seemed high, my question was "If I am injured because of a fixable mechanical problem, how much would I pay to be back on the water?" It was much more than $150.

• Baller

Shane. I'm not talking about the blocks. Those look basically bomb proof. I am talking about the bottom of the actual release. The flattened part that the bolt goes through and articulates with the block. This is the metal "loop" that goes up/around that the release spring attaches to. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy the entire piece.

• Baller
Think you could round out the hole and slip a steel bushing in there? Could use loctite to lock it down if it's close in size. The loctite will prevent further damage to the arm from the bushing and any future will be on the bushing itself. Kinda depends on how thin you're talking but we do this on planes all the time.

• Baller

@MrJones‌ I refurbished my friend's silvrettas so I keep all the parts that can be used again, I know what the problem with your release is, I have seen it many times. I can send you the part you want treated for rust and no wear where the holes are, but you definitely need to change the spring too. Take the screw out without breaking it because you need to keep the special nut in a reusable condition (I do not have a spare) otherwise you would need to buy new release.

If you save the bolt text me to send you the part you want you would still need to buy new spring from reflex. It will only cost you €14 for the spring instead of $150 for the whole thing!g0slyqrwcb5u.jpg

lihh8q5enba6.jpg

rt61p0bx1kyi.jpg

Use WD40 for a few days before attempting to unscrew the bolt,

Good luck!

Alex,

• Baller

This is kinda coincidental but as I was using my ski/wakeboard equipment as a workbench, I noticed a tiny bit of corrosion between the screws and blocks where @mrjones found his oblong holes. My Reflex setup is the 500 and is less than 2 years old. I started wiggling my release only to find a significant amount of play that freaked me out.

What struck me as odd was that the Silveretta arms have 0.200" holes in them, the blocks have 0.156" holes, and the screws that secure them are 0.154"... So it's already an incredibly sloppy fit between the screws and arms. This is made worse because the screw is fully threaded and the Silveretta arms wear the threads down making the screw more like a 0.130" screw.

I'll see what kind of hardware I can scrounge up but I'm thinking about either making everything 3/16" (0.1895) holes or finding some kind of thin walled bushing for the Silveretta arms. Either way a screw with a smooth shank will be on my list of "must haves".