A fin question based on other discussions

ToddF

@ToddF‌ Well, one school of thought would be that the roughness would act as minute turbulence producers, and would keep the flow attached to the fin longer/more. Then, the follow on theory would be that the fin would act "stronger" on that side, so you'd want to paint the strong side turn of the fin, then adjust the fin shallower. Probably the opposite of the effect you'd want.

Another school would be that you'd get minute cavitation points on the downstream side of every bump. This would then create some "give" in the flow, and the fin would act softer, just like you want.

Another school, and the one I'd bet on (but maybe only a pepsi), would be not much change.

Go for it!

• Baller

Reading these two discussions of fin modification a thought came to my mind. What if we put the wing with a degree difference on each side would it make a change to the turning characteristics? Instead of 9.5, use 9 on the left side and 10 on the right side, I'm LFF slowing side on the way to 2-4-6.

I'm sure people have experimented with this before.

@gator1‌ I really like your idea, I will modify one of my fins and try it myself.