Radar Profile Bidings - First Impressions

ozski

• Baller

I had my first set with the Radar Profile Boot yesterday and my first impressions are that it is an excellent product. Its going to take a couple of sets to adapt to the extra stiffness but its a keeper. I went one size up over my shoe size and the fit and comfort was the best of any boot I've ever used. For those who are obsessive about boot placement the micro adjust is a cool feature. Great job Radar. I'm still running the Vector on the rear, at least until it breaks.

kixpmyr28n7c.jpg

6mp9ada75670.jpg

nz3bd793bkqs.jpg

• Baller

Here is some product info from Radar -

For 2015 the Profile boot, continues to use the idea of the Vapor and altering the technology for a more rounded boot. With a asymmetrical comfort last, dual density liner and added closed to performance, you will have a perfect fitting boot, that combined with a contoured underfoot and low centre of gravity, will provide greater feel and response out of your ski.

Key Features:

Assymetrical Comfort Lasting for no spare room

Closed Toe Performance for the next level skier

Dual Density Liner for increased response, comfort and support

Low Centre of Gravity for greater ski feel

Sliding t-nuts for added adjustability

Contoured Underfoot for added stability and greater energy transfer

Stitch Lines to stop delamination

Aluminium Plate for strength

• Baller
@ Zman The tongue goes on the outside correct, the idea is that your foot will release the same as a rubber boot. My foot comes out of the Profile a lot easier then the older Vector, I run very little pressure on the top bungee - it does not feel like you need much. The lower one I reef on pretty hard for the best possible connection to the ski.

• Baller
@ozski , Thanks I was wondering about these because my red A3 will not have a green or orange boot on it. I saw that yours was straight black which I don't see on the Radar web site so was asking about it. The strada boots I believe were designed for the liner to release from the boot. Unfortunately Radar does not talk about the release intent of their various boots so I am curious why you think they are designed to release your foot and not the liner.

• Baller

@colo_skier‌ The liner in the Profile binding is permanently attached so will not come out. The lining material is designed to release the foot like the Vector bindings.

Another difference between the Profile and Vapor/Stradas is that the stiff plastic lateral support between the shell and the liners is not as high in the Profiles making the Vapors slightly stiffer laterally.

For what it's worth, removable liners make it easier to dry out your boots daily which helps keep them from smelling funky, you can replace liners for thicker or thinner versions and heat mold them for a custom fit, and you can replace just the liners when they wear out.

• Baller
@Skijay I have been using Strada's ever since they made the first gold ones. I have never looked at the Vectors but a friend has some and I see that they are foot release versus liner release. I assume the top of the line radar boots are still liner release in format. Just wish they were not green.

• Supporting Member

@ozski‌ - I have been on the Profiles this whole summer. Next time out I will try it with the tongue outside the inner layers. I have been tucking it inside like my snow ski boots. Who knew? I will try it next time out.

@scotchipman‌ - you are correct. I am not a big fan and I have the matching Senate Graphite. Some guys have commented on wanting to look more seriously at them if they changed the color. I ski mostly in salt water/leave em out a few hours after hosing off, and they are still VERY bright.

• Baller

If you leave the tongue outside of the liners it pushes the Velcro connection between the shell and liner apart. Surely the tongue goes inside the sides of the liner and closest to the shin for a better connection just like snow ski boots?

Any other opinions on this?

• Baller
Had Larkin tell me my RS1 boot liners were on wrong as I've always had the tongue on the outside. I tried it the other way and could barely ski, maybe it's due to heating them and breaking them in that way but I've had 2 pairs of RS1 since 2009 and no issue with tongue out. Many liner out OTFs too.