One coach or several coaches for a week trip?

BrennanKMN

• Baller

A while back I asked about various ski schools and coaches in the Orlando area and got an overwhelming list of places to go.

Thread: http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/11643/water-ski-school-coaching-recommendations

With so many recommended places to go would it be wise of me to go to a few different places over my 5 days? I could go to 2-3 places for a day or two each or I could stay at one place for all 5 days. What would you recommend?

My thought was go to several different places so I can get a variety of different coaching styles and advice. As this is my first real lesson I don't know what my style is yet.

Thanks.

• Baller
My gut reaction to that thread was- if you are looking to see what different sites look like go to multiple places if you are looking for coaching to get better go to one coach for consistently. It will be way too confusing to go to multiple pro coaches in a week.

• Baller
Depends on whether you want to find a good coach or go on vacation. Having a coach that you communicate with well is key. If you don't already have a good coach for YOU then I'd bounce around a bit. Commit to seeing several and pick the one you like best for future visits.

• Baller
My wife and I took an anniversary/waterski trip to Florida last September, I have never been coached before and decided to ski two sets at a different ski school each day. We loved seeing new places and came home with lots of different points of views and things to practice. With only 5 days, I would recommend 2 or 3 different places. If I could only pick one, I would go back to Palm Beach training center.

• Baller

I fully support the statements above to stay with one coach unless you would like to explore coaching techniques.

My definition of a great coach is that he/she will pick out what is most important for me to adjust at the moment in order to build a stable platform for future progress.

In order to do this he must help me to:

- Understand and 'feel' my current skiing on the water

- For me to grasp and notice when I ski wrong

- Consequence of those faulty positions

- What needs to be adjusted and how to adjust that fault.

Or best case avoid ever getting in the wrong position

I just had some great coaching this weekend with the Efverström brothers, Daniel and Johan.

Got some aha experiences that fulfilled all of above criteria.

And I try to get as much coaching as I can (really useful on my level).

So far I have had approx 15% of my runs with a coach.

You will take several sets a day at most schools. Ask for a different coach for each set the first day. Then pick one coach for the rest of the week. You will know which one. By sticking with one coach the rest of the week, you allow them to get to know you, to understand you're needs and wants and you will begin to understand more as the week progresses.

My advice for a week of ski school (and it is just that)

1. Have fun, its vacation time in Florida and your skiing, really!

2. Put a video device (WITH AUDIO) in the hands of an observer (not your coach) while you ski. Ask your coach to talk about your pass as you ski. This video can be used long after you have left school and have forgotten what your coach taught.

3. Discuss your morning set(s) with your coach during lunch/mid day break/whatever. Take notes in the note book you brought with you. It is school, right?

4. Same for afternoon set(s).

5. At night, before going to sleep write down everything you remember from the day. Again long term use. Also note conditions, ski settings, etc.

You will be bombarded with great information during a week of school, a lot of which you will forget, especially if you follow step 1 above. You will not come home after a week of ski school skiing like the pros, not that you are expecting this. But none of this information will be worth a dime unless you go home and practice. Video/Journal will assist you while you practice and develop your skills. Allowing you to work on one thing at a time.

If you decide to visit several sites/coaches try to get video at each and DO take notes regardless.

whatever you decide don't miss out on #1 Have Fun

• Baller
I would say go to two different places in your 5 days. Most ski schools have more than one coachs, so you can get a variety at one place. You won't want to go to go to too many places, as by the end of the week you'll l be burned out, you do a lot of skiing at a ski school. Good luck and hope this helps. Have fun! @BrennanKMN‌

• Baller

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

@thager That is definitely a worry of mine. However, being 22 I think I can manage but I'll be dead by the end. I plan to start training now so I can be in shape for my trip. Right now I only ski 2-3 sets a week, so going to 2-3 sets a day will be a rude awakening.

• Baller

I've always skied with a couple different guys on a trip, usually because of timing and where I'm located in FL. I really enjoyed the different perspective, and also the same fundamentals most coaches have you work on (that I still need coaching to do!!!). If I was going for a week I'd probably hit up a couple different sites, not just for the coaching, but also to meet other people in the ski world and ski at different sites.

I'm headed down in the fall for 4 days, probably ski 3 days, 2 sets a day and I am thinking I'll probably ski with only 1 guy. Still trying to narrow it down myself... Wind protection, price and site make a big difference for me as most of the Pro coaches are going to give you the advice you need to improve and offer an amazing experience.