Does carpet dye work

ToddF

• Baller
For tough stains take a white terry cloth rag. A bowl or bucket with water and dishwashing liquid. Soak the rag in the liquid. Wring out rag. Put rag over stain. Take a hot iron and iron the rag with a lot of pressure not moving too much till almost dry. And repeat as often as you have to. You will see the stain lift into the rag. It takes a while because you have to do small areas at a time. But I have gotten stains out this way that nothing else would get out.

• Baller
I usually use regular home carpet shampoo in a spray bottle and scrub brush. I learned the iron trick when our 25 year old moved out. She spilled a bottle of red Mikes hard lemonade on the light carpet in her room and never cleaned it up. I tried everything to get it out. Thought I was going to have to replace the carpet. Took me about an hour with the iron. It was a large spot. But it eventually lifted out.

• Baller
This is a similar question to the dye thread, but if your carpet is looking rather shabby, what are the best approach in either replacing it completely, or a small section. I am curious if I choose to replace it, can I put in snap carpet, or do I need to fully replace it all with permanent carpet?

• Baller

@brady - usually the subfloor beneath the carpet will be pretty uncosmetic - its not necessarily set up to be visible, so a snap it probably wouldn't look so good.

We have a boat with snap ins and the whole floor is gel coated w/ raised texture (which has to be scrubed with a toothbrush or it looks like crap.