Zebra Mussels

WBLskier

• Baller
Zebra mussels were discovered in our lake last week (White Bear Lake). It was probably only a matter of time, and we'll never know where it came from, but I would bet it didn't come from someone living on the lake since everyone I know doesn't take their boat anywhere else. It is a big public lake, so anyone can use it, but the efforts to prevent it were pretty minimal, so it is really frustrating. In any case, it sounds like we're beyond prevention and into control. I've lived on the lake for 30 years, and I'm wondering what we should expect now. Is there anything that can be done on a small scale on and around our dock/lift/boat to keep them from taking over? Any input would be appreciated.

• Baller

Not much you can do about it. Just make sure your boat is all the way out of the water so that they will be less likely to start moving into your cooling system.

There is some magic chemical stuff that they are using to treat Christmas Lake with, but I think it requires that the area be cordoned off and the infestation has to be pretty limited.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/25/treatment-kills-zebra-mussels-in-christmas-lake/

Sucks cleaning them off docks and lifts. When we pulled a shore station out of Prior Lake end of last season we were scraping and pressure washing for hours. Then it had to sit over the winter to guarantee that it wouldn't infect the lake it was being moved to the next season.

• Baller
The first year they hit our lake was bad. Dock post, pontoon boat bottoms, lifts, rocks and anything hard was covered. That was around 2000 and it looked bad. Flash forward to now and I can't remember the last time I saw one. I have no idea how or why they disappeared but I'm not complaining!

• Baller
I have them in my lake as well, have for quite a few years but we have lots of fishermen in and out. Watch if you are pulling out your course, the bungee cords I use on my bouys get covered on the plastic clips. I have to wear gloves to take them off, those little suckers are sharp feels like a paper cut.

• Baller

@dbski‌ I have experienced the same thing at a summer house I have in Michigan. Saw them the first time about 2002. I have not seen them for the last several years. Not sure why but I am not complaining. Maybe there is hope.

I used to ski on a lake that had them- had to wear gloves when working on the course and crocks when walking in the rocky areas . There was a resident hippie that would fry them up to eat along with his meth. He did not look well nourished by them.

• Baller
Zebra mussels are the AIDS of lakes! Once they are there, that is it. We have them now in our lakes down south including powell, and it is only a matter of time til they spread up to utah lake. One thing I would recommend to those of you who have them in your lakes. It is not enough to simply pull the drain, but when I pull my boat out of the water each time, I quickly turn the boat on off so I get the water out of my hoses. The remaining water in my engine will quickly kill any potential mussels because they can't survive in 160 degree water. Kind of like protection for your boat!!!

• Baller
We got them in the late 90's, after about 10 years they ate there food supply out along with our lake association stocking some sort of crappie that eats them. Never had a problem with them other then needing water shoes for walking in the water. Lake is now clearer then every, but now we have more weeds.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@Brady Not sure that residual engine heat is enough. I had a couple of them start growing up in the thermostat of my last boat - which was a garage boat that got used once a week. Only reason I noticed was that they wound up jamming the thermostat part way open.