OB4s helped me out today

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

Did a weird fall today and escaped with absolutely no harm. I did an unusual spinout out of 2 (working on some new techniques) and managed to pretty much ski into the handle V. Of course, this gave a good jerk to my ski. In a rubber boot, that can hurt quite a bit, although admittedly not likely to cause serious injury.

With the OB4, the front boot simply popped off. It was so smooth I didn't even realize it had happened until my right foot started floating away from the ski. I also suspect that the instant release helped avoid damage to the ski. As a minor bonus, I was able to reinsert the boot without having to get on the platform.

To be fair, most pin systems would have worked the same way. But anyway I came away still very happy with my move to OB4s.

Great invention @mmosley899!

Also ran 4.5 @ -38 today (after the above fall), tying season best. I'm mostly working on -32 right now trying to change some fundamentals. But today I decided to take a crack to see if anything was starting to rub off. Seems like a little has!

Waay aside: This led @MikeT to wonder if it would be possible to take off with just one foot in and then snap in the rear boot. Not sure there's any real point to that, but an amusing idea!

• Baller
Hi @Than. ..good skiing...glad it's still warm 20 miles east of here...As a long time fan/user of "pin systems" (fogman for well over 10 yrs) I have been very interested in the ob4s...My ONLY question has been whether one could release only one boot...big "NoNo" for me...I thought the answer was no but if I read your post correctly it may be yes...would you clarify sometime at your convenience

You can release only one foot at a time with the OB4, BUT it doesn't matter with this system, because you can release in a rotational fall, it is OK to have the feet release one at a time. The main reason you don't want to have a one foot in one foot out fall is to avoid rotational injuries, and in this case the binding system prevents that.

• Baller

I have the same question as @rfa. I have had my back foot come out in an OTF fall and the ski hit the water and stuck on after the first somersault. As I kept tumbling forward my front leg straightened as I went over the front for the second time. Hyper extended to a dislocation. Knee totally blown (second time I have done this, not skiing the first time). I now ski without ACL and PCL so both feet releasing is compulsory for me.

Currently using Stealths which have been great but always looking for something safer.

• Baller
Thank you for your comment @kfennell. I interpret your main point as that in a rotational fall the OB4s always release both boots (because that's the only type of fall where one in/one out is bad...not sure i fully agree, looks like @JJR may have a different experience). But my concern is that I had the impression that the OB4s always released both boots and @than's post may suggest otherwise

• Supporting Member

@JJVDMZN Don't forget to check out my Idiots Guide to OB4:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3z1wtYSyhHVQGdpaH_UOD2dEW0jhYlMHtD0eoizspg

It may save you some time.

In fact, I need to update it to note that the bolt/washer setup I recommend in there has worked so well that I haven't tightened my bolts in a month. The original setup wouldn't necessarily make it through a set, so that's a night-and-day difference.

• Baller

Just to clarify, you can have only one boot release from the OB4 double boot system in some instances, but if there is any rotational force or dragging on the ski that would cause any injury, the second boot would also release once your release setting was exceeded. Resulting in no injury!! That is the point anyway... @kfennell‌ is correct...

Also of note, I have skied all summer with no problems from the original bolt/washer setup. If you need it, try @Than_Bogan‌ setup...or Loctite, seems the screws may work loose from flexing of the boot... Also I have other solutions if needed.

@Edbrazil‌ thirty years behind because there is thirty time less money in water skiing...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
BTW, I have only released from the OB4 double boot slalom system one time this season, a crushing out the front at 35off. But it released as it is supposed to... I run the system set at ~55lbs, but I also have learned not to take those hard falls, for the most part...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Supporting Member

If you are serious about safety, I strongly recommend two things:

1) Use a head-guard in your handle V. My personal favorite is the In-Tow bar.

2) Use either OB4s or a single-plate pin system with a Gatormod. I truly believe these are a cut above all other options in terms of safety.

I tend to be a "whole truth" kinda guy, which perhaps can lead to some confusion. So I hope nobody will take my occasional suggestions for/criticisms of the OB4 system in the wrong way. It is flat out the safest system ever made, and its performance in the slalom course is just as good as anything else I've tried.