How quickly things change

eleeski

• Baller

Last year no trickers chose a Centurion in tournament unless they had to. Kirk got stuck behind one a few times and "it's not too bad - I skied really well behind it". We all ignored the whisperings. Even Horton refused to pull me behind his new boat.

This year the Mastercraft Koolaid is not available. Very few Mastercrafts were at tournaments. Centurion did a good job of providing boats (at least at the tournaments I entered - thanks to Centurion and the boat owners). We had lots of good runs and good scores behind the boat. Centurion is certainly a reasonable option for tricks.

I do miss Koolaid though...

Eric

• Baller

Eric. I can see how a good tricker can make the carbon pro work. What are your thoughts about kids or others who are just learning?

I'm not knocking the Centurion, but I don't think it should be sold as a good trick boat. It is great for slalom and I love the interior. If they added a Nautique style trick tab it would probably be our next boat.

• Baller

@MrJones‌ The quality of the table and the definition of the wake make the Centurion at least as good a beginner trick boat as any other. To learn flips you will need time behind an older boat or a wakeboard boat. None of the new boats are optimized for tricks.

The 197 was a great trick wake. The new MC is similar to the Centurion. Malibu and Nautique went big and flat a while ago. We trickers need something different to get us really excited. Centurion or any of the other boats are not Koolaid worthy (unless they run with my mods).

Eric

• Baller_
Here is a question. For the Trick event, is there no real requirement for ZO timing or that the boat can meet certain acceleration benchmarks with a drone, etc.? If not, why can't the trick boat be any model? The only thing you would have to do is ensure all skiers in a division use the same model.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
No disrespect, but there is no "definition" to the wake. It is a round mound that is sweet to cut through in slalom, but hard to get lift off of. I am not a tricker, but have 3 young kids that are. We don't make a big deal about boats around them b/c at times they will have to ski behind them all. Even so, they have mentioned to me on several occasions "that boat is harder to trick behind" when we have been at ski school or at friends with something other than our Malibu.

• Baller
The malibu is currently my favorite of boats I ski behind because at least it has size, the nautique doesn't seem to me to have a clearly defined peak and it has a really low grade so on WB/WF I feel like I land on a ramp instead of flat water, the new 197 I've tricked behind a lot and found that I'm comfortable and used to it but it is again very hard to find the peak and it doesn't give a lot of lift. The Iowa team has a '13 197 with a particularly hard wake yo the point where I practice with a 28 off opener at 36 rather than a 22 like I usually do and it is obscene the amount of pop I can get from that, especially compared to the '14 models of the big 3.

• Administrators

@MrJones‌ I have a 91 MC. Yes the trick wake is perfect. I coach a little tricks one the weekends. At 16.5 mph the Centurion seems pretty good.

At 19.5 it is good for me.

Basically I am saying unless you are going for an old 80s or 90s boat the CP is good.

• Baller

The Centurion table is as good as any table from any generation boat. Too many years suffering the Nautique white caps table make this especially refreshing. Especially with a sore hip really taking the edge off my toes.

The wake is tiny and flat. Like it was designed for slalom. What it lacks in height it gets back by having the top clearly defined. Small consolation. It seems that what makes a great slalom wake takes away the steepness of the trick wake. Small and flat might be easier to use than big and flat. Or not. What you get used to and they are all different to me.

No Koolaid until someone lets me take my grinder to one of these slalom hulls.

Eric