Describe this move in other words

alex38

• Baller

Horton talks about and demonstrates getting wide with perfect carry out and handle control off second wake.

I can come out of 1 ball perfect but think I am submitting too much energy before I get to 2ball.

When I "think" about direction maintenance it is better, and I feel like there is a sort of core move that makes it happen but can't put my finger on it.

I can create ridiculous space but don't think I'm using it wisely.

If there is a move here, I would love to hear alternate descriptions or "tricks" to achieve it.

For now, I am concentrating on outbound off wake and keeping two hands on the handle for as long as possible. Running 28 over and over. Not going to 32 much just working on 28 being easier and easier.

• Baller
@alex38‌ one thing that seems to help me is to focus on keeping the handle low. It's almost pushing the handle down to keep it at waist level. This keeps my elbows in tight and core engaged. Then I do a funny hip move. People have noticed it and say I'm dancing on my ski. Basically I drop the inside hip and raise the outside hip while keeping shoulders level. Do a side crunch with your abs. This. Reaves the reverse C that some people refer to. Hope that helps.

• Administrators

@alex38‌

First of all I am pretty sure I do not demonstrate anything perfectly.

Second I am not 100% what you are getting at but here are the things I want to do better.

At apex of offside (1/3/5) I want to keep my left shoulder high, weight on my front foot and my right hand off the handle as long as possible. If I do these three things I will have a sh*t- ton of angle but will have hooked up well inside the ball line and in control.

At this point I have a lot of angle but if I can resist the temptation to lean away extra on the rope I will not have excess load. Without extra load the edge changes will be less abrupt and early. When I get it right there are no big movements. The trick is to move less. As I cross through the white water and out to 2/4/6 I only try to keep my right shoulder high off the water, resist letting the handle get out and move my hips forward.

None of this will work if your hips are behind you and or the handle is out at the centerline.

Is any of this what you are talking about?

• Baller

Yes, those shoulder moves and resistance to overloading sound like something up my alley for certain.

I see some skiers looking like they get on the tail of the ski for a split second off the wake when they change edges then sink right in to a smooth approach

I assume this is s byproduct of a proper lean thru the wakes

I've been skiing with Matt Rini as of late. He describes exactly what Horton just said. When I do it right, the line stays tight, excess body movement is eliminated, and I can just hold on and let the boat swing me back and forth.

• Baller
My problem zone has been from the second wake out to the next ball. Usually throw the handle out , ski back into slack and go mach whatever to next ball. @ Horton would always tell me pelvis towards shore after second wake , but I could never figure it out. A few weeks ago , I started to advance the forward hip ( left going to 1 ball ) during the edge change , with the handle still in , only seems to work if you have good angle. But man , that was huge for me. Seth talks about it as a small hip movement. It is very hard to see from boat or on video , but for me , the magic was that it keeps my hands on the handle. Good luck

• Baller

Just wondering. The same concept applies. I agree with what Horton mentioned about "twisting the hips toward shore" from the second wake out. Now in truth I don't think this is actually happening, but rather the goal is to maintain the trailing hip's direction out bound instead of letting it fall behind. The guy who has been coaching/skiing with me since nationals has me working on the same thing. I am a lefty. The main issue I have had for years is creating tons of early "space" with my 1 ball turn and lean, but this not mattering because my direction into the edge change is down the lake instead of outbound.

Now for the part about putting it in different words. I first attempted to actually "twist" my hips going out. That worked at my longer line lengths, but as things got shorter I quickly found there wasn't time for my brain to process this and put it into action. As a side effect of my attempting to twist, I notice myself giving a "grunt" in my lean and edge change. The same as when you are lifting weights and do a valsalva to tighten your core and generate more power. I first tried to stop doing it as I though it was a distraction. After a while I decided to go with it. Sure enough it seems to work as I can definitely hold my direction out better when I do this, even at very short line. (Give it a shot. Ignore people that make fun of it!!)

One last thing. You mentioned that you were working on this at your longer line lengths. By all means resist the urge to "backside" buoys. It makes it much harder to focus on what you are doing outbound if you are loading early. On my first two passes my goal is to make the buoy the middle of the turn, not the finish at all.

My $0.02. Hope it helps.