Dock Talk On The TXi

ozski

• Baller
I ski / train on a site that is a Nautique site for want of a better term. To be honest I don't give the 200's much thought, they are simply great boats and if you don't notice the boat then it must be doing its job, in my mind right or wrong Nautique sets the standard. My own personal boat is an old 2004 LXi and I'm not hard wired into any particular brand loyalty, it was the best buy for the family on the day. I don't read a lot on here about the Malibu TXi but I'm certainly hearing a lot of really positive comments about it, particularly the wake compared to the 200.. Its not just the skiers but drivers seem to like them as well. I'm now a bit TXi curious, I just don't know of anyone around here that has one so that I can find out for myself! And just to be clear the TXi we get out here in Australia is built locally under license, it may not be identical to the US boat in every respect. (it may be better or... not as good)

• Baller

@ozski As a skier of very limited ability, any perceived difference in wakes between brands is purely psychological for myself.

I have no problem changing between the 200, TXi, SN196.

My 10yr old son loves the TXi wakes compared to our 196 and the 200 if that means anything to you.

• Baller

Hard-core three-event skiers can be quite demanding in regard to their desired performance criteria for tournament ski boats. That’s why Malibu Boat engineers have worked hard to perfect the tracking and wake characteristics of the Malibu Response TXi. The magic starts with a part of the boat so rarely seen: the hull. Malibu added precise lifting characteristics to the running surface that softened the wakes, improved fuel economy and minimized spray. The other main change in the boat‚Äôs design was on the deck, and it made a huge difference in visibility. Malibu raised the height of the windshield, which allowed the company to raise the height of the seat, giving the driver enhanced visibility in all directions. The tweak not only adds safety on the water, but it also gives the driver the best opportunity at a great pull. Handling is incredibly responsive, whether it’s tracking perfectly straight through the course or just pulling up to the dock. The standard Indmar Monsoon 5.7 liter, 350 hp engine is perfectly adequate because of the hull’s efficiency, and the only real reason to upgrade to the 6 liter is if you’re pulling high-level jumpers.

The Malibu Response TXi is the best ski boat for you if: You want the same tournament-approved, barely-there wakes and impeccable tracking that have carried Regina Jaquess to a world slalom record of 3 at 41 off.

http://www.waterskimag.com/boat-reviews/2014/01/07/2014-malibu-txi-review/

• Baller

Craig I've never seen a badly reviewed ski boat in waterski mag, particularly our edition has had many known piles of rubbish reviewed as decent boats!

I agree TXI's don't seem to have the same notoriety as the others, not sure why but I'm led to believe they are very nice to ski behind. I think even CP's get more coverage these days which BOS has played no small part in. In Victoria Malibu is the far and away biggest brand but Txi's are rare, Fxi and wakesetters are everywhere.

I'm quite certain also that Malibu US are taking over the Aus operations from Xavier, not sure why or what it will do to prices locally.

• Baller
We don't see many TXi's in our area either, although we did have one at our local boat show last year, which was surprising. I've always been curious where their pricing falls compared to a 200 or MC. I understand they're less money, but I've never negotiated on one to find out.

• Baller

the TXi is a great ski boat, and definitely the best "family" 3 event boat out there. I think they are left behind in discussion right now because it was more a redesigned Response LXi vs the newer 3 event boats from Nautique, Mastercraft and now Centurion. Its hard to tell the difference from the TXi and LXi when looking at them from a few feet back.

I've always liked Malibu's design, layout and versatility. The original Response is still a contender IMO.

• Baller

We have a TXi and really like it. I have not driven everything, but the consensus I hear is better tracking than the Centurion and MC, not as good as the 200. Much better wakes for wake tricks than the the Centurion and MC. Not sure about the 200. Better fuel economy than the 200. Not sure about vs. the other two. Compared to the LXi the TXi is hands down winner. Drives better and you are not sitting "down" in the drivers seat low rider style.

We are a trick and slalom family and went with the boat that seemed to meet our needs best. The only thing I would choose differently would be to have the MC or Centurion interior with the low/no stress carpet free floor. We have been very happy with the choice. YMMV

• Baller

Have a 2013 TXi. After researching all the brands it ticked the most boxes.

All have awesome wakes.

High freeboard-taking water over the bow is least likely of the major brands.

Usable bow expanse-Adult can stretch legs out.

Ride-surprisingly good for a direct drive.

Power-Indmar 350HP is extremely potent in this hull. Gently feed throttle to get an average slalom guy up. Approx 45 MPH top end. Good enough for the occasional barefoot set.

Price-got a good end of season deal.

• Baller
I would say @MrJones consensus sentence is about right. We don't see them often at Okeeheelee, but I got to drive one during the Florida State Tournament. I thought it drove great, not quite as planted as a 200, but really easy to put where you want it. The group I pulled included a 36mph division and MM and I had no trouble right into 41 off (Chet and Ben both got into 41). I skied behind one at Palm Bay a couple of weeks prior to States and would say the wake is a non issue (I start at 28). With the 200, the re-designed MasterCraft, Centurion and Malibu all having great wakes and all driving well this year, I don't really care which boat I draw in a tournament from either end of the line.

• Baller

Nice boat, cockpit ergonomics improved over Lxi though I still find MC and CC drivers seat/helm/throttle position fit me better. Boat has some serious getty-up, drives nice, wake is great.

Without rear facing seat extension the rear facing seat is not nearly as spacious as CC and MC.

Due to more traditional boat lay-out, there is far less floor space in the Txi. I like the MC ability to have ski racks free up floor and remove clutter and the side compartments for same reason in the CC. Also then no trunk to step over to get to platform.

None of these a big enough deal to keep me from owning one at the right price/time. Great boat. Can't go wrong, pick your favorite flavor for your personal reasons.

Recently drove Dan White's 6 liter CC at skiwatch...wow.

• Baller

A year ago I had a meniscus surgery prior to that and 40 days after I was only skiing -28 or shorter to avoid crossing the wake at -22. The only boat I could ski at -22 or shorter (with no extra pain to my knee) for the first months after surgery was a new TXi.

Best wake, now I feel great behind any of the top brand ski boat!

• Baller

I have a 07 lxi and my buddy has a 12 txi, the txi is is a huge step ahead in both tracking and softness of wake (still love my lxi though!)

Can't go wrong with any of the new slalom tugs, but the txi is hard to beat as a tournament ski boat that doubles as a great family boat.

Also I think it has the best exhaust note compared to the competition.......must have less baffling, but that Indmar sounds great!

• Baller_
It is interesting that the TXi received the least amount of buzz when introduced and over time as to its performance compared to the other contenders. Kudos' to Horton for upping the Centurion discussion as it also did not get much until he joined with them. It might have a lot to do with the percentage of boats / profit goes back to the manufacturer compared to the rest of the lineup. Both Malibu and Centurion are very strong in the wake market, not saying MC is not, they just have a very long and strong connection to the Prostar line.

• Baller_
My 2009 Response LX has the Wedge. It is the manual Wedge that they apparently redesigned not to lock in the down position (not sure why). It adds some wake when engaged, but seems to lessen as you speed up - probably by design to prevent too much stress on the hull. We accidentally left it engaged after pulling a wakeboarder. I skied my entire set with it in the down position right into 32 off and never noticed it until we put the boat on the trailer. There is no effect of the Wedge on the wake when it is not engaged.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

I have an '06 LXi and ski a friend's '13 TXi. The TXi is indeed a fantastic boat. Biggest difference I notice between the 2 is that the TXi -22 is softer than my LXi. I prefer the TXi over the 200, but I've only skied a 200 a few times with many more sets behind the TXi. It's an all around great boat. As stated, the ergonomics are much better than my boat. I don't care for the dash on the passenger side of the TXi, but it wouldn't kill a deal if I was looking for one.

No hull changes for 15. Maybe some hull tweaks but no huge change forthcoming, New Power this year from Pleasurecraft Engine Group Crusader series. Engine mounts 4 inches further forward than the previous Indmar engines. Power is excellent, acceleration is better, boat is much quieter this year inside. Engine forward provides more weight further forward in boat and is felt in the tracking characteristics of the boat. In my opinion the hull is damn good at all line lengths. Boat is not as planted as the 200 but provides great tracking with little input on the wheel.

• Baller

I still have my 14. @MrJones bought my 13. Equipped the same 261 hours priced under what I

have in it. Great driving boat. Never titled. Boat was used for slalom at 14 nationals. For more info it is on ski-it-again. Vapor, Black and White. It is a Promo but it is listed in the reg boat section.

Jeff Lindsey

• Baller

Another comment on the Aussie built boats..

The early TXIs did not track great and there was a great variance from boat to boat in how the track and sit in the course. Many of them seem to sit nose high and tend to float, even with some weight in the front. I have driven 5 or 6 2013 and 14 TXIs and there seems to have been a continuing improvement since the first year of them. Maybe it was just those boats, but the promos I drove of that year, it was near impossible to keep rhythm and feel with the skier. Every American made response I have driven has tracked much better than any Aussie built boat. What they do differently to our boats, I do not know. But I have no doubt that it is a lot more than the little rudder tab!

Despite all that, I think the build and material quality is much better in our boats.

• Baller_

FRP maufacturing in some ways is still a black art to perform repetitiously in a cost effective manor. Climate conditions and adherence to layup schedule play a big part in consistency percentages.

Lets start with the initial molding process. We are going to lay up 4 20' hull molds from a master, most of the time it can take up to three weeks to deliver the 4th mold to production service. Humidity changes along with the heat cycles the master plug encounters have a effect on exactness of the mirror part. Now the 4 molds are in service being utilized by two different layup crews and sometimes shifts. Again the heat cycles as the resins harden in the mold along with mold repair and reconditioning after every part pull over time has a destructive impact on the correctness of the part 30 cycles down the line.

To bad someone has not come up with a stamped Aluminum ski boat!

As far as the TXI, I never met one I did not like!!

• Baller
@Chat_Scott I dont see it as a quality control issue, but rather a setup issue. The overwhelming majority of response ski boats will never pass through a slalom course in Australia. They set them up to be an awesome sporty feeling boat for the wally's.

• Baller

The interior makes the boat feel smaller than it is in comparison to MC and CC. There is less walk around room and when I ski in a BU all the skis and gear still end up on the floor behind the driver's seat. For that reason love the MC ski racks, like the side lockers on the CC as well. Without the rear facing seat extension I find the BU a little snuggly there with two observers. My guess is most non-skiers or recreational skiers would favor the interior of the BU.

They all could use the MC ZO interface. All are great ski boats.