Pumping Your Tranny

A_B

• Baller

I use a plunger type pump I found, like you'd find on a gallon jug of hand cleaner, syrup etc. Not a very good description I know, hope that makes sense. Found some small diameter hose to add onto the pickup end to extend it enough to get down into the bottom of the tranny case and to add onto the discharge end to extend that. Pump it into an oil catch pan on the floor next to the motor to catch what gets sucked out.

Just finished winterizing my boat last week, changed the trans oil after it had been in there 3 seasons. The old I took out looked just like what I put back in (clear and clean in appearance), not real sure it even needed to be changed FWIW.

• Baller

What tranny oil would any of you recommend?

@OKSkier the sticker on my trans says Dextron III/Mercon so that is what I put in it (boat is a 2005). I'd guess that any of the newer fluids would be fine as well if not better, but I'm not willing to just assume that. So I go with what it says to go with.

• Baller
About 15 years ago a Lake Erie mechanic suggested to me that I should throw in an extra quart of transmission fluid over the winter to prevent condensation, much like having 3/4 of a tank of gas over the winter. It sounded reasonable enough, so in the spring, I pump out three quarts and replace with the two quarts that are required. @AB, to answer your legit question, I use the Topsider MVP, which is based on the old metal gas cans, which worked, and in this case does as well.

• Baller

Bought and used Pella 6000 on the tranny. Worked like a champ. The problem is that I got 2.25 quarts out of it. I think its only supposed to hold 2 quarts. I am wondering if it was over filled by dealer or someone, as everything I have read indicates you will never get the full 2 quarts out. We bought the boat used.

I am thinking I should put a quart r quart and a half in, and then fire it up next Spring and warm it up and cycle though some gear changes, and then check and fill to max.

Any thoughts?

• Baller

@AB Yes, if your transmission is only supposed to hold 2 quarts (like mine) you should be able to get out only about 1.5 quarts because there is always some left in the cooler and hoses. I would do what you are thinking -- put in 1.5 quarts, warm up the engine for a few minutes, shift into forward and reverse to clear out any air pockets, shut the engine off and then check the level within 30 seconds after turning off the engine.

Also, you can get a general idea of the level with the engine cold -- the level cold should be a little higher than the "warm full" line. If you check it cold after adding 1.5 quarts and the level is well below the "warm full" line then your tranny probably takes more than 2 quarts. However, to get an accurate reading you should check it warm.

• Baller

I use a Sealey oil extractor/inspection syringe for the trans/v-drive. Nice because you can measure what you are pulling out easily and replace it with the same amount. Only pulls 200ml at a time, but for a couple quarts worth it works fine.

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/WP_20141001_002.jpg