Cool way to float your lift

bobbulfer

• Baller
That's pretty cool but I'm guessing 10 in PVC is pretty expensive. Biggest I can find locally is 6" which is about $40 for 10 feet so I'm guessing 10" is at least twice that price. Granted I don't have to move my lift very far but I just use a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with caps and crank them down to the lift.

• Baller

This video popped up after watching yours. Another crafty way to do it, but they have the pvc tubes attached to the moveable cross beam, so as the lower the cross beam, the frame settles down and then they must remove the pvc pipes. No air pressure needed.

I think your idea looks sound. What will you use to force air into the pipes?

• Baller

The steel Shore Stations were so much more fun with having to swap the cable around and using an row boat under the cradle to get it to lift off the bottom. Then when you got close to shore you had to put those little stub axels with the tires/wheels on them. Oh and add a canopy on top to make it extremely too heavy (and just plain heavy!).

Those were the days. You kids have no idea how good you have it!!!

Funny but every time I see the permanent docks/lifts like we see in TX, AZ, CA, etc I remember all the pain and suffering from moving the shore station in and out every year.

• Baller
I was hoping a sthil leaf blower would have enough power to push the water out of the tubes, but I don't think it does. I'll prob keep using a couple tractor tire tubes and keep floating it around. The problem is my lift sits 130 ft out from shore and then when the lake floods as it does at least once a summer I have to bring it about 40 ft from shore based on water level. Just looking for an easier way.

• Baller

If you need to move the lift often, I have not seen anything more simple than the pvc pipes method in the link sent by @AB‌

You don't need power or air compressor. And, you do not need to get anything but the straps under the main frame beams. Lifting the lift off the lake bottom is as easy as cranking up the cradle frame on the lift like you were lifting your boat. You just need enough volume in the pvc pipes to create buoyancy that will exceed the weight of the lift and canopy, plus a little extra to help break the four feet free from the muck on the lake bottom.

• Baller
I'm tellin ya the float and roll is so easy, and you can do it alone if you had to, yes is is a bit of money up front but IMO it will last forever and you can adapt it to any lift if you had any sort of a brain, not to mention you could recoup some expenses with neighbors or friends that need a lift spotted, we did the tubes and barrels and windsurf boards, this thing requires no liftin or nothing just float it and set it with no hassle

• Baller

Not sure made anymore, but @razorskier1's system is really cool. An axle on each end with huge plastic wheels designed to slowly take on water. Float it out where you want and it slowly sinks. They have a valve for an air compressor to attach and blow the water out at the end of the year giving easily enough time to get to shore and roll it out.

I like that PVC approach. Perhaps a couple of mounted hooks to hold the pvc under tension to the lift while shoving it in the water and as the lift is lowered they come right up out of the hooks.

• Baller
Finally have enough water in the lake to use the boat house. But for the moving the shore station over the past 6 years, I simply took 2 empty 30 gallon drum, filled them with water, tied one to each end of the bottom frame, then took a scuba tank and filled the drum from the bottom bung...displacing the water and the whole unit floats. You can find 15, 30 or 55 gallon (plastic) drums all over the place. Easy, cheap approach......to the shore. Still need to get it out of the water! MWN