Synthetic Turf for Lake Shorelines

chris_logan

• Baller

So, while at work, I just started looking through my latest Geosynthetics Magazine, and what do I see on the front page?... A picture and reference to an article about shore protection for wakeboarding lakes. This caught my eye immediately, as the construction/engineering world doesn't often intersect with the watersports world, especially in the literature that I receive at the office.

nlk9kdd821aa.jpg

cr0lnnjzgfcc.jpg

From reading the article, this seems like a great product for maintaining the "perfect shoreline," preventing erosion and keeping the desired slope to prevent any backwash. In addition, being a synthetic turf, it also keeps a very nice aesthetic appeal year round without any maintenance. Can you imagine never weed-eating, and not having to deal with a rocky shoreline or any sand erosion?

rf0ythy8mfq2.jpg

Of course there is always the initial cost of installation, which doesn't look like a DIY project by any means, but how long would it take to see ROI in this product? I guess it depends on what your time, back health, and perfect shoreline conditions are worth to you - in combination with the overall maintenance cost that a typical lake endures with natural shorelines.

With this facility relatively being in my neck of the woods, I want to go check it out. I might even round up a trick ski to take with me, but I really want to see the end product and how it performs... so maybe on a busy day for them and hope the wind picks up while I'm there. By the looks of the finished product, at least in a picture, it doesn't look half bad. I may need to add some budget to my "dream lake fund".

d52b0n2zt3zn.jpg

watershedgeo.com/hydroturf/

• Baller

As far as costs go:

HydroTurf™ is significantly less costly than hard armor revetment systems. Installed cost for HydroTurf™ is typically up to 50% less than that for traditional hard armor systems. In addition, HydroTurf™ requires minimal maintenance and will drastically lower long-term maintenance budgets.

*Estimated Installed Cost Comparison:

HydroTurf – $4 to $6/sf

24″ Riprap – $7.5 to $15/sf

6″ Concrete Paving – $6 to $8/sf

Articulated Concrete Block – $8 to $12/sf

This is per their website.

• Baller
@chris_logan‌ is right. It's my next of the woods about 10 miles from my school. We do have a wakeboarding class that meets there. I also have some friends that work there. If I find the time I'll take the Graviton and my Camaro out for a ride on the cable. Should be interesting to ride there and see the turf setup.

• Baller

I guess I should probably point out that sports turf and hydro turf are not the same thing. Hydro turf is a geotextile product designed with strength properties specifically for erosion control, and has a prescribed installation process that must be done properly in order for it to work. If you try to do this with used sports turf, you will likely end up with a giant mess and undercut erosion - negating the intended purpose to begin with.

As is true with most engineering concepts - you can either do it right, or try to fake it and face the consequences.