What trick ski should I buy

pmick

My son just joined the OSU Ski team (as a freshman) and wants to start leaning how to trick ski. He can ski (15 off at 34mph) and wakeboard fairly well. We have a Mastercraft 2007 Prostar TT 197. He is about 5'7" 140lb. I am trying to decide what trick ski to buy him D3, Radar, Reflex, quantum ...and on.

For what I read he should be on a 42" trick ski. I found a 2007 KD 7000 42" on try-it-again for $300. 2014 Radar Gravity 42" for $480. A Reflex Trick Ski Stealth 43" for $475. A 2014 D3 CX trick ski 43" for $525. and the list can go on if I look at new trick skies. Any ideas and advice?

• Administrators
You really can not go wrong with any of the new ski options. They are different if you are a 8000 point skier but for a beginner it might be almost all the same.

• Baller_

Any of the major companies - D3, Quantum, Radar will be great. Either 42 or 43 will be fine - when in doubt, or if you get a good deal, go up a size. Spend the money on the Reflex binding. I don't have anything against Reflex skis, just don't have any experience with them.

*I don't trick much anymore, but I coach a 6000 pt tricker.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I recommend a hard edge ski. The rubber edges soften and change the characteristics. They are the older generation skis and skis have improved since then. My personal favorites are the Goode (toes) or the Quantum (hands). I've seen so many skiers develop on the D3 hardedge that I must recommend them. Kirk just got Radar Gravitons for the UCLA team and those kids are improving like crazy. So many good choices. Note, I have no prejudice - I build my own skis.

Go big on any of the skis. The new boats have better wakes at slower speeds. Big skis allow slower speeds. Also, I personally thought the bigger skis felt better anyhow.

A new ski will be fun and worth the couple extra bucks. I really don't want to think about how much each trick has cost me...

Eric

Yes, this Connelly sounds good, what does everyone think? I have not read much about this ski, will this be a good ski for my son to start on and improve? The Radar Gravity is also on my list. I want to thank everyone for their comments and advise.

• Baller

Old Connely, no. New Radar, qualified yes. I coached the SDSU kids today. One was spectacular on the Radar, one caught too many edges. Of course the kid who fell was letting his hands out - not the ski's problem. I am becoming impressed with the results from the Graviton.

Get a a brand new Quantum, D3, Goode or Radar. Any of these skis will be great. How much is gas? It's worth the money.

Eric

I am almost considering buying the Connely just for the older Reflex size 10 rff with 404 release, harness, spectra trick line, and the bag, then buying a new Radar Graviton (or waiting to see what goes for sale after the season is over) and selling the Connley blank. Just a Idea!