US Open results

ToddF

Erika won with 9780 points over Natallia with 9420 and Whitney with 8580. Nate won with 1@43 over Will with 3@41 in a ski off. Regina scored 4@39.5 over Aprils 1@38. Zack won with a distance of 201 over Jimmy with a distance of 197 in a jump off. I don't know mens trick as I left and came back. Im sure USA WS has it somewhere. Or @Krista knows. I do not remember the womens jump distances either...

Bojan, Freddy and Ryan all jumped into the sun and after about a 20 minute delay because of the ramp moving. Im sure that and the sun, jumping blind got into their heads as they posted some great distances on Friday. I would have bet it would have been one of them

• Baller_
That's what I am wondering. The sun was not getting any better by the time the run off happened. With all the discussion on shore between the jumpers after those 9 jumps, wondering if they figured out what needed to be done to compensate for what was wrong. But what was wrong is still unanswered.

• Baller
Its not normal for three of the worlds best jumpers to have literally the same trouble with all their jumps. There seems to have been a major change just before Bojan jumped (they had to bring him back to the dock to fix something on the jump). Not sure what it was and I certainly can't speculate but no doubt there was a difference.

• Baller_
My questions would be about jump alignment and affects on the jumper. Let's say the jump was no longer in the same position in relation to boat path. Say a few degrees off rotationally, maybe more, either direction. Would that affect how things go once the skis hit the ramp and would it affect all skiers? After a bit of discussion with those that went before, could a jumper adjust to the new position and jump farther then previous jumpers? Which rotational direction, left or right, would cause the skis to skid out from underneath the jumper? That's what it looked like from where we sat.

• Baller

Generally speaking the more "open" the ramp is to the boat path the easier it is to get on the ramp. The rules allow for a slightly open setup but nothing past "0 degrees closed" - or parallel to the path. Certainly all the jumpers adjust on each attempt.

One interesting observation was that Jimmy was taking a very "easy" double cut and started his cut to the ramp quite a bit earlier than all the others. Zack was pretty late on his last (winning) jump. Bojan, Ryan and Freddie were all in approximately the same place turning into the ramp (each with somewhat different turns) and a fair bit later than Jimmy.

Purely guessing, I'd say the ramp was turned "closed" too far after the delay to fix whatever broke. At 6' that red beast is hard enough and turn it closed and it's even more brutal.

That's not to take anything away from Zack Worden. He stepped up and jumped farther than the rest. Amazing win for sure.

• Baller_
So if I'm reading your post correctly @klindy, a closed ramp could possibly cause the skis to shift left on the skier when hitting the ramp. We basically could read the bottom of their skis from shore on every jump of the top 3 after ramp was rotated back. So not only were the skis out in front of them, they were having to pull them back under themselves left to rght. Jimmy had a different approach from his first pull out then all the rest. I think he's just damn consistent at it. Looked like he was using dated equipment as well. Oh, and not trying to take anything away from Zach, just trying to understand a possible cause. Sun light in eyes does not seem like it would cause the exact same affect on all 3 top skiers and then seemingly vanish for the run off. But knowing the jump is out of alignment before you jumped would allow for some adjustment in approach I would think.

• Administrators

@‌wish

a closed ramp is visually very disturbing for jumpers. I just looks wrong. Imagine if the left hand gate ball was moved back 5-10 feet toward the green balls in slalom. You could learn to deal with it but it would F you up for a few passes.

a closed ramp is a smaller target from the turn to the ramp so it is more difficult and more dangerous.

a closed ramp is actually a shallower incline - the more open the ramp the more straight up the ramp the skier travels. If it is very closed it would be just darn awkward.

My wild guess is that the course geometry and ramp position were wrong and 3 jumps was not nearly enough to be comfortable with it. When jumpers are uncomfortable they do bad things to feel safe. Being on their heels is the result.

What I did hear from one source is that the ski skiers chose not to bitch about it. They skied their event and took what they got. Nice to see some sportsmanship.

• Baller_
The sportsmanship was apparent at the event. They were comparing notes like crazy and patting each other on the back and wishing each good luck. It was like each wanted the other to have the inside scoop and go further. Did not see a single complaint.