2004 Malibu still backfiring... found something interesting

Ilivetoski

• Baller
So we still have some backfiring issues with our 04 LXi. The other day while on a public lake my dad decided to try something. He wanted to try to turn the boat before we get into the course, like what we have to do on the private lake instead of going straight into the course. Every single time that we turned the boat left it backfired. It gets weirder. It wont backfire if there isnt a skier behind the boat. It hesitates, then backfires while turning left with a skier behind it. Any ideas?

• Baller
Leaning toward wiring also, check rub points on PCM harness and visible arc burns, I had a duramax with the same problem, $2500 in labour only to find the injector harness rubbing on a bracket (myself).. A bit of RTV silicone and a piece of rubber.... Problem solved

• Baller
If it's a wiring problem I'd expect it to be worse when crossing wakes from the jarring. But you never know. Inspect the wiring harness. If you don't find anything start the boat and move the harness around and see if you can duplicate it. We had a fairly new distributor cap end a good ski day last week.

Backfires are unspent fuel cooking off in the exhaust system. Bad plug, plug wire. Per Gregy, see if you can duplicate, if you can get it to duplicate you can systematically pull plug wires and see if you can isolate a cylinder. Could be a bad head gasket, I have not heard of this prob with indmar and think it is more likely fuel/ignition, but it is a possibility.

• Baller

I saw where you stated "in a left turn". Have you tried taking the motor box off and the floorboard behind the engine. While idling at the dock turn the steering wheel full left and full right. Any backfire's? I'd be looking for the steering linkage pinching something or rubbing something. Maybe simulate a pass through the course with someone watching the fuel lines and electrical with motor box off?

Good luck,

Ken

• Baller
Fuel pick up issue I would assume as well. Splice in a short section of CLEAR FUEL line on the fuel intake line by the engine. Then with the motor box off have someone SAFELY sit next to the engine and watch that line for air bubbles running through it during your left turn. Just a way to at least rule out an option.

• Baller
The boat I owned previous to my current '05 RLXI, a 2000 Supra Legacy, would cut out and sputter when the fuel level was below about 1/3rd tank when I'd do fairly hard turnarounds to the left. Didn't do it turning right or when the tank had more than 1/3rd tank. We assumed from that it was a fuel pickup issue. Don't recall it backfiring but don't really remember. I'm tending to agree with @oldjeep and @Monkstr6100, sounds like the pickup sucking air. FWIW have never had that issue with my '05. I'm wondering if perhaps the pickup is flopping around loose in the tank? Or if possibly there is debris in the tank (i.e. pieces of plastic from drilling connections into the tank that were never cleaned out on assembly) occasionally blocking the pickup momentarily. I've heard of that as well.

• Baller
I am coming home from school this weekend sadly to ski... I think the water will be below 60 and since we cannot replicate the problem without a skier... Sucks for me. We have replaced the basically the entire fuel system. New pump, new lines, everything. We did replace the distributor, it does backfire but what it does every time is a hesitation. I must not have been clear on that, but when we give it gas it just dosent want to get up and go right then.

• Baller
Two things other things to look at - Thermostat (My boat would run cool under 130-140 and that would cause hesitation) - Computer - sometimes it gets jammed up and you have to replace(Mine was caused by having the key in the on position and putting the battery in-gave the computer a good shock). You need a dealer with the right cable and computer or you could get the winky blinky from skidim.com - Good Luck

• Baller
Sounds like a vacuum leak or maybe a bad sensor (MAP, TPS, or MAF). Maybe low fuel pressure or faulty injector. Bad gas could possibly cause this as well. I would start by double checking the timing. Then checking for vaccum leaks. Can check the sensors with a multimeter and google search for the parameters. Check fuel pressure to make sure it's where it's suppose to be. If all checks out it should be running.

• Baller
I agree with Dano try running engine with engine cover open then spray carb cleaner along each side of intake between heads and intake if change in rpm possibly you can tighten intake manifold bolts then do the same around carb or throttle body

• Baller

@Ilivetoski‌ pretty easy to tell if PP servo motor is causing problems. Hesitation isn't how I would describe what it could cause though. Surging is possible but not hesitation.

it is a

If you do linkage tests and servo tests you will see if something is binding. Set your hand throttle at different positions (with the engine off) and run the tests. As the servo winds, you should expect perfectly smooth movement. If the dacron cord (on the servo knob) is catching on the glue which holds it to the knob, it can cause surging. Check to see any jumps there and any binding of the black servo cable plus the engine throttle linkage.

Other possible reason is weak return spring and low voltage to the master module.

It doesn't sound like a PP problem to me, but the test is so quick and easy you might as well eliminate it. Post a video here if you want me to check it.

• Baller
@LeonL He only replaced the one that had a clogged filter. He did that last week. As a result, I had to ski on Saturday (53 water temp) to test it. We cannot replicate the issue without skier load, that is where I came in sadly. More sadly, that was not the fix. He thinks this is the last thing it could be. That said, we have had about 10 things that "could be the last thing"... If this is not it I am pretty sure my dad is going to finally take it somewhere else.