How do you measure your fin length?

skifan

• Baller
So I just bought a new to me Goode Nano One. I am checking the fin measurements and I can't get the length to be short enough when I measure from the tips, the fin runs out of adjustment. I looked on Goode's website and they show measuring fin length from the jaws. I can see how that would make a big difference. Is Goode the only ski manufacture that measures fin length this way? How do you position your calipers when to measure fin length? What brand ski are you on?

• Baller

@Horton I'm figuring that out. How many people do you think are miss measuring their Length and DFT?

That's kind of why I asked the question. Each ski has it's own measurements with different ways to measure. Making small changes is easy to track but finding the manufacture specific baseline is the challenge. Especially because such small changes can make a big difference.

• Baller
@skifan remember that using the jaws will yeild a variable answer depending on the tool used. Even the same brand calipers will measure differently since the jaws are NOT precision ground faces. You certainly can use YOUR calipers on YOUR ski (assuming you know the measurements) ]with some comfort level. What is more difficult is using your tool with someone elses measurements (i.e. manufacturers suggested measurements) UNLESS they are measured using the proper ground faces on the tips. Proper use of the tools is important to get consistent results.

• Baller
What @scotchipman‌ and @klindy said. When Goode uses jaws these days it is with the latest Slot caliper which has the precision ground jaws. But, by using the jaws the caliper sits a little bit away from the ski because of the concave shape. That's why you need to add about 0.080" to the Goode measurement when compared to your tips readings.