Blue 2015 Vapor - Horton Settings

Horton

• Administrators

When I got my new blue Vapor I tried both Rini and Rossi settings. Both worked but were not the feeling I was looking for. I went back to my settings from when I reviewed a green ski. After about 5 sets I am pretty darn stoked.

Slot .777

Head .775

6.8565 (tips)

29 15/16

• Administrators
@richarddoane‌ I don't know but after riding your ski I think you need to grow out your hair or change your settings. Something is wrong and it is not the ski.

• Administrators

Crap. Maybe bottom stitch. There is a mark on my plate so I forget.

@eddie_roberts_jr‌ this is where you tell everyone I am a knuckle head

• Baller

@Horton‌ maybe as a learning exercise for us in the non-fin-guru class could you tell us what you were looking to change when you altered your settings and perhaps what each change away from the recommended settings did for you?

It might be interesting!!!!

• Baller

Hey @horton it's interesting. What's your water temp. before i broke my ankle in june i was running 2.472, .745. 6.880 29 7/8 i was rico ing alot and getting thru 38 quite a bit in practice.

i went to 1 tourney got 4 and was bummed. broke ankle day after. went i cranked back up in sept i settled in on 2.472, 6.869. 742 and 29 13/16. got back to scrapping out a few 38's before the water and weather took a dive. i got my vapor in nov of 2013. i tried a ton of settings. but never that far forward. looking forward to this Michigan/artic air to leave the lone star state.

we need rain too if you are looking for a reason to dance

• Administrators

I find most modern skis to be finicky to set up for 38 and beyond. Factory numbers and help from factory team guys is key. I always start with factory settings.

How did I get to these settings? It was 18 months ago and I honestly do not recall all of the iterations. I know Matt and or Chris helped me. I did find the settings in warm / hot water. They still work for me today and my water is 65ish. As a rule I do not adjust much as the water temp changes. I figure that when the water gets cold I change more than the anything plus just don’t want to chase it.

When I get a ski where I want it I generally leave it alone and work on my skiing.

What I was looking for? I want the ski to arc in early and then flow back smoothly to the center at off side. A large percent of my settings efforts center around my one ball exit. I am RFF so that is off side. On side on the Vapor is basically foolproof.

It is not 100% accurate to say that I did not like the stock Rossi or Rini settings on my new Blue Vapor. When I tried both settings I still had the stiffeners in my new Vapor boots. I strongly suspect that I ski better with a softer boot. I took out the stiffeners the same day as I went to my old settings. There is ZERO scientific method here. All I can say for sure is that I am smoking 35s and using self-control to keep from trying to run 38 at the moment. Skiing darn good for November.

• Baller
@richarddoane‌ it stands to reason that the smaller your feet the more you can separate them. The wider your stance the more stable you can become to a certain point. I've had a couple pros suggest I go 1 back in the rear to just that and it cured offside stalling completely. I'm a size 9 on 67. @5'10"

• Baller
Oddly enough I am RFF as well. My offside is money. For the most part, always has been. Some skis better than others. My onside is a bit mechanical. On the Vapor, the onside is descent to pretty good, offside again is sick. I usually don't do much for cold water changes either, my move might have been due to me coming back from the ankle break. I probably was getting stronger and pressing to get big scores for me before winter arrived. Can't wait to get back out there. It's 36 degrees in Dallas today so it might be awhile. bummer dude