early 2000's malibu response

WBLskier

• Baller
I have a 98 Malibu Echelon and I am considering upgrading my boat by five or so years. I'm thinking about an early 2000 response (maybe '03 to '05). I've skied behind an LXI of that era and I don't remember being very impressed by the wakes. Can anyone comment on the wakes, driveability, etc. of say an '03 response (not LXI) vs. the 98 Echelon (or 98 Response)? I assume the LXI has a different hull than the closed bow standard response. Does anyone know when the hulls changed? Does anyone know what the first year response is that could have zero off added to it? Thanks in advance.

• Baller_
The various LX's I have skied are all very close, my least favorite are actually the newer ones. The ergonomics of the newer Responses for me are a clear step in the wrong direction, the seat is way too low and the throttle position is just not as comfortable (all that can be changed to suit with some effort if desired). One difference in the hull you will find is '99 is the first year for a trunk if that is something you desire. The diamond hull came out in '98 according to the specs sheet. The DBW for Malibu started around '06 IIRC. You also might want to try another LXI, my experience with the wake at short lengths is very good.

• Baller_
That Echlon is a good hull and driving boat if it's in good shape. I drive and ski behind a well maintained one for a week every yr. enjoy both aspects of the boat. Not sure what you will gain other then a much thinner wallet, to upgrade 4-5 yrs.

• Baller_

I have a 2009 Response LX (same hull and basic interior since 1999). Skis and drives great. I have ZO, as I think that was the first year for it in the Malibu.

I also skied and drove a 1999 Response LX on a regular basis. I liked it basically just as much as mine, except no ZO.

The only LXI I skied behind had a tower. I think the wakes were a little different and maybe the tower contributed to that. Can't comment on the Echelon. Really like the TXi.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Love my current boat. Wife wants a sun platform and I like to upgrade every few years rather than fix things like upholstery (have a couple skins that could use replacing) and dont have perfect pass. Current boat has been completely bullet proof though and is in awesome shape so hesitant to change again.

• Baller
@wish those used pp systems are harder to find then you think. I watched ebay and ski it again since spring. Never found near to a complete system for my 96 supra ts6m by the time you piece one together with used and new parts it's not much cheaper then buying a new stargazer

• Baller
I own an 04 rlxi and one of my ski partners has a 99 rlx, I don't think I could choose one over the other for skiing, they both drive pretty well too. I do like the interior space in mine a little better, seems to be a little less wind in the cockpit on the driver on cooler days and the extra space is nice to have. The rear locker in mine can be used from either the platform or inside the boat also.

Can't say I've ever heard someone have issues with the wakes of any of the LXI/TXI boats. Every one of them I've ever driven from 04 - 14 drives great, tracks great and skis great!

I've got a couple buddies with LX boats, and have taken sets behind a few Echelon's. The echelons definitely have a harder edge to the wake and are tight on space.

If you're wanting to go up 5/6 years there are several 04, 05, 06 RLXI's out there. I recently bought my 04 last summer. It needed a bit of work but after I got my hands on it, put a new steering cable, new tilt column and greased the rudder assembly it drives and tracks like a new one. The open bow in the RLXI provides plenty of space for a few people to lounge around and catch sun! And the rear trunk pads also are a great place to lounge. Plenty of storage too.

I think you'd have to go to an 06 RLXI in order to do any ZO conversions.

• Baller
I ski some behind a 08 lxi and have a 99.Rlx. Above about 32 mph the wakes are excellent on both. At slower speed the 99 is smaller. I skied and drove a lxi last year that was a 05. It was not easy to drive, not sure if this is typical of those years or if something was wrong.

• Baller
Obviously something wrong there. My '05 (bought used) was properly set up by the previous owner and tracks as well as/better than anything else I've driven, never had to touch it. Not brand loyalty, just provable fact. @kstateskier can attest to that and I'd say the same for his '04.

• Baller
@WBLskier‌ if the question is "Will a early 2000's Response/RLX ski as well or better than my Echelon" the answer is YES. The diamond hull which was a mid-98 change is a big improvement in wake softness and IMO Malibu really started upping their game in interior comforts and quality in the 2001 model year. That's when they redid the dash with the nice dip switches rather than the somewhat oddball turn-style switches as well as a bunch of other refinements like drip-mold side decals and whatnot. They really started hitting their stride then, and I feel like you'll find it a very worthy upgrade to step up to that era (2001+) vs. your 90's era boat in all areas including wake, fit and finish, and features.