Need advice- OB4 system with/ their hard shells or Vapor boots?

TyZac

I'm thinking of purchasing the OB4 system but not sure about adding the hard shell boots. I'm currently using Strada boots but in need of a new set. So any thoughts on going with Vapor (new or closeouts) or OB4 boots???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions

• Baller
@TyZac‌ I would recommend sticking with your current boots if they will last just a little longer. Only changing 1 variable at a time is ideal. Mount them to the OB4 system then switch to a new boot. Either a new Vapor set but switch the lases to a non bungee style or a different boot.

@Horton @Than_Bogan‌ and @MattP- Thank you for your responses! Well I just decided that this will be my Xmas gift to myself. I'm thinking that ordering directly thru OB4 is best, right...?

Sorry one more question... Will any alterations be required to my (2012) Strada ski or boots to fit the OB4 system?

So @mmosley899‌ says size 13/14 double Strada boots won't fit. That's not good news for me because I really like my Stradas...plus more money and one more thing to try and get used to. So has anybody tried the OB4 hard shells? How are they for fit, comfort, quality, performance, etc compared to the Stradas? Will the OB4 size 13 fit? Return policy? I was getting excited about this releasable system but now I have more questions/concerns. Maybe there's a good solution for guys with bigger feet that would like to try the OB4 ...?

(The semi-soft boots just don't do anything for me)

I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys

• Baller

@Ilivetoski‌ in the event of a freak release you don't want your Vapors releasing at the same time as the OB4s. They will sink to the bottom of the lake. Therefore removing the bungee and replacing with a static cord will remove the Vapor release mechanism from the equation.

@TyZac‌ holy hoof batman!

@mmosley899‌ will need to answer regarding the fit of the 13 Roxa shell to the OB4 system. I have not tired it yet, but it is made by the same company that makes Reflex's shell. @Horton‌ normally rides Vapors and has been testing the OB4 with the OB4 SemiSoft shells. Possibly he can shed some light for you.

• Administrators

I am not sure why but the SemiSoft shells are a big change from the Vapors. Since I have not used hardly any other binding in so long it is hard to comment. I think that because the Vapors resist flexing backwards they act as a backstop. For some reason this throws me for a loop.

The SemiSoft are more free and have a bigger range of motion. That should be better. I am not sure if I just need to ski in them more or if I should mount up some Radars to the OB4 plate.

• Baller
@TyZac‌, I have some experience with the hard shell boot. Overall, I really like it. I commented on some of the other OB4 threads, but feel free to drop me a PM and I can share my experience. Mike, however, is the subject matter expert and can give you the details you need.

• Baller

@TyZac......@mmosley889 ...I'm using size 14 Stradas on OB4 system....requires you to cut about 3/8 inch off front or back of one of your boots....I took it off the front...just the bottom structure, toe stays intact. I can try to send photo tomorrow when I go out to marina.

Dan C

• Baller
@Bookm_dano‌ nice job, I have not taken that much off.... @TyZac‌ The problem with 13/14 comes in with using double boots. A single release with rtp works. @Horton‌ my daughter Jazmine had the same issue with the flex backward. I have skied both shells, I like both. Personal preference... I have another new shell I am checking out now...when it gets warm...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller