Bindings for Girls

Hipsup

It seems to me that girls get a pretty raw deal from the ski companies when it comes to binding options.

For example, why do Radar not make the vapor binding in women’s sizes? I think I’m correct in saying that the smallest size they do is a US8 which is pretty big for most girls. Seems strange that they expect the girls to either use vectors or the new profile boots neither of which have the liner release.

Most top end girl skiers seem to use a reflex and rtp and the few that use double boots (like Regina) use powershells. I think Whitney uses double boots, but I’m not sure what she is on.

So if a girl wants a double boot set-up that is safe and not a traditional rubber type release it seems the choices offered by the ski manufacturers are pretty pathetic. Of the big manufacturers only Goode makes a hardshell or hybrid product in girls sizes (admittedly you could get a double reflex or an OB4 system but I don’t know of many people using a double reflex and OB4’s are new and $$).

HO seem to have given up with top end bindings, D3 are all rubber, and Radar and Connelly only make their top end products in mens sizes

I guess they believe that the market is too small to make them in smaller sizes but the logic seems pretty flawed to me.

• Baller

Unfortunately you have made a good observation. There are plenty of female skiers but too few designers. It takes a lot of work to optimize a binding. Sometimes it's easier to adapt your style to what is available.

Hardshell choices are reasonably easy as Rollerblades (which are the raw materials for hardshells) are available in small women's sizes. Reflex and Powershell options are pretty similar for men and women - and are widely used.

While it is a bummer that Radar high end boots aren't small enough, my wife likes her Radar Lyric binding. I've used the men's equivalent and with some custom padding it felt OK. Disclaimer: I haven't fallen hard on the boot so the release properties may be different from my Strada boots. Another possibility may be to get the smallest Strada shell and an Intuition liner, then heat mold the liner to custom fit. A snow ski boot fitter should be able to help if your foot is close enough. Of course, I recommend a custom fit for men too and I'm using an Intuition liner in my Stradas.

Wiley's can make any size of quality rubber boot. Rubber is not my personal favorite but some people ski great on rubber.

A unique consideration for smaller women is weight. A binding system is porportionally a larger percentage of the final weight on the water. Plates and bolt patterns are made for big guys - overkill for a light skier. You might benefit a lot by drilling Nascar style lightening holes in plates and choosing lighter designs. Even if you need to adapt your preferences a bit.

It takes work to dial in a binding system. Let us know what you do and how you like it so we can get more women in better bindings.

Eric

Save your Gatorade lids if you go with wild release ideas like mine.

@eleeski‌ Thanks for your thoughts- interesting.

I was actually thinking about my daughter who currently ski's on double vectors (which she likes) but they are getting a bit small and falling apart.

Off the shelf choices for double boots are limited. If they made a vapor/strada boot in smaller sizes, we'd probably go for that but given the limited choice I may end up getting her power shells even though I'm no fan of the velcro release.

My point is that there is no decent choice available.

• Baller_

how old is the girl?

I went through this numerous times with my daughter and she skis three events. through the years as she grew up We stuck with Wiley style bindings until her feet stopped growing. now grown up she rides a Radar Strada with HO Animals. Jump and trick still Wiley.

I feel your pain @Hipsup. As an adult lady - I have small feet, wearing anywhere from 7-7.5. I have always had trouble finding bindings that are small enough to fit. I am currently on a Radar Lyric w/ rtp and I love it. It fits me well and I like the way it releases. It has no liner to deal with - although the cords can break (but they sell replacements inexpensively). FWIW

• Baller
@Hipsup OB4 has boots to fit the size you are looking for, in hard shell and soft-fit shell. Our costs are in line with other comparable release systems, message me and we can work out something for her. My daughter has skied with our system for years, and wears a size 7 also. Several other national level female competitors are also now using OB4 systems.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@Zman I currently have down to size 5 in women's boots, in both hard shell and semi-soft. These sizes are also suitable for kids feet in those sizes. To get an accurate fit, I need a true shoe size to go on, as the different boot manufacturer's sizes differ from product to product. As you know the OB4 System will work with most styles of boots currently available.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller