More Nationals Thoughts

Bruce_Butterfield

• Baller
I'm all for if you qualify to ski a division that's the division you ski. Meaning if you ski into the MM qualifications that's the division you ski for the remains tournaments and Regionals and Nationals. What other sport can you participate in where you decide what division or class you want to be in.

• Baller

@skierjp be careful. That works fine for MM slalom. What do you do with the ultra high end b3/g3 who have a open rateing? Samantha and Taylor have to ski against Regina and Nate? More power to them if they choose to, but they should not be forced to. How do you handle a overall skier like someone like Dane Mechler? Open level slalom but level eight trick and jump. Should he have to ski open overall with Siemers? I am not sure that Dane skied overall last year but you get my point.

Would it be hypothetically possible to rank everyone on an overall score instead of by event just for nationals? How would this change the people who are skiing in other divisions? What if for regionals and Nationals you were ranked based upon 3 event scores and entered to ski based upon those groupings would this change the problem that @ntx foresees? I understand not everyone does all 3 events but that might put some pressure on people to ski in their correct bracket.

• Baller
lpskier not sure where you're getting your numbers but all of the people you just mentioned work, and some do not ski. I see very few retired individuals as judges, drivers, so I'm not sure where that comes from. Doubling up on rooms, not for me, after I've been in a boat for most of the day, I at least want a room to myself. Trying to pick skiers out of competitors would be a nightmare, the logistics of making a nationals run with competing skiers presents enough problems as it is. The real solution is to redirect the source of dependent income that is required by USAWS to things other than the Nationals. I believe it has been over two years since a major sponsor has signed on with our organization.

• Administrators
@LLUSA why would a major sponsor put money into a such a disfunctional organization? All you have to do is look at the membership stats to see that we need a radical reorganization.

• Baller
Changing the Nationals is not going to improve the membership basis, we are basically a shrinking organization that no longer has the benefit of using public waters for the most part, ask most tournament skiers how many ski on public waters? We have lost that. I do not consider USAWS a dysfunctional organization, it operates well within the confines of a restricted budget. Will a big party really help nationals? I doubt it, when you finally realize the cost to travel/participate have soared, people have more things to do, and quite frankly its to hard to do for most, then you must look at who's left, and what can we provide for that group. Pricing has shut out a majority of the middle class, how many plant workers do you see skiing, that's all I grew up with, now I can't name one.

• Baller
I think it is fine the way it is. The only possible change I would make is eliminate the Regional Participation requirement if you are already qualified via the rankings list. If you make the podium in the Regionals then you should get a second round at the Nationals. If you make the podium in an event at your State Championships you should get a second round at the Regionals in an event. I would use getting home field advantage in football as an analogy. I agree with DavidP about being recognized for setting a personal best, especially at Nationals. I would be very happy to ski at the Nationals. I don't care where I place. I would just soak up the experience. I have been to the Midwest Regionals 3 seasons in a row. If you told me 10 years ago I would have skied in 3 Regionals I would have told you that you were crazy. Setting a personal best at the Nationals is good skiing. Hitting your average score at Regionals or Nationals is tough enough.