Moomba Masters live webcast?

TravisNW

• Baller
I wonder if competing in Moomba means he will not compete in Big Dawg? Though I believe he competed last year and still skied big dawg which makes the rule regarding 36mph open rated skiers and there eneligibiliy to ski big dawg for two years unclear to me.

@TravisNW nothing in the rules about 36mph Open Rated skiers.

Big Dawg rules state eligible skiers are the following = "Skiers 35 years and older, who have not placed in the top 10 in the Open Division of a Pro event in the past three years or any skier over the age of 50."

Andy's 52 years old.

• Baller
The hope was to have the webcast functioning for the juniors which kicks off in 9 hours time, however some 'technical difficulties' may delay that a little, but we will hopefully have it up and going! For those of you familiar with the moomba cast, things will remain pretty much the same as recent years.

• Administrators

The fact that they are using the free version of ustream with commercials is so unbelievably bush league.

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Baller

Commercials would be a lot less intrusive if they were timed to not come on randomly, at times

right in the middle of some key action on the water.

Webcast is still cutting out at times. But, when it is on, it is nice and clear, with commentary.

Only one camera view, from shore, though. Maybe we'll get a boatcam for Finals? Back when

I was there, the local channel HSV7 had hours and hours of live coverage.

If you're in the US and want to watch, you need to adjust your sleep schedule significantly.

Melbourne time is 16 hours ahead of Eastern US standard time. Good for Nightowls and

insomniacs.

• Baller
It all depends on the CDN they use to broadcast. When I do webcasts, I use a CDN that can automatically archive segments and allows DVR type rewinds of the live action. It all depends on doing your research and $$$$ and additional bodies to run multiple cameras. Other than that, its easy to do.

• Administrators
Do I correctly recall that the webcast for last year’s men’s jump finals went to commercial during Freddy’s set? As I recall there was all this built up anticipation to see who wins and then I was watching a commercial for Cheerios or Depends. I guess that makes sense because I had stayed up so late it was nearing breakfast time and I almost sh*t myself when they cut to commercial.

• Baller
While watching yesterday, I did notice a countdown timer in the upper left corner. It told you when the next commercial was coming and gave you an option to "Watch Now". It was frustrating because it was more than just a single 30 second commercial.

• Baller_
They should rework that service to force the webcaster to release commercials within minimum intervals or shut the stream off. That would allow the commercials to air while putting the choice of timing into the webcaster's hands. The webcaster will be able to release commercials during skier change, etc.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators

Or spend $100 a month for no commercials.

@MISkier that is the way ustream works. If you could control the commercials why would you upgrade to the pro version?

• Baller

Are you guys ever happy. Everyone complains when there is no web cast.... And when there are commercials. Go to Australia and watch live. I am happy to see any web cast at all. Thanks for what ever they send over.

@ntx i think the critique about the webcast is fair.

as an Australian I enjoy all the live US web casts without this much disruption during the critical passes, like Sandro's 10.75m that i just missed for a Pringles ad - embarrassing

• Baller

Regardless of the ustream issues, I have enjoyed having a web cast without blaring loud music.

Plus, their microphones seem to be better quality and able to handle the higher SPLs of an excited announcer. Or maybe they have decent compressors on their mics. (I just get so tired of hearing announcers yelling into a cheap and clipping microphone at webcasts.)

• Baller
I had no commercials on my iPhone either. Thought the sound was great. But I did miss the display on the screen of current skier and scores. And no replays. But the commentators were good. And some really damn good skiing.