Hmm, it's not the trailer, it's the truck wiring!

gt2003

I took my sons truck to the boat storage last night. I thought, hmm, why not see if the trailer lights work with his vehicle. SURE ENOUGH! All lights, turn signals, brake signals etc. Everything working. My truck is a 2011 F-150. Do I likely just need a new "cord that runs from the connection underneath the bed down to the 7 pin trailer plug in?

• Baller_
Use a volt meter to verify the signals on each wire Inspect the ground any verify good ground to frame contact with an ohm meter. Check the hitch ball for excessive rust on the truck that has the issues. The ground can be affected by that.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Will do. I've got a voltage meter somewhere. I may be running back to ask questions on exact usage but I bet with a youtube video of two that I can figure it out. I'll start with the ground though. It's grounded to the frame tubing so I'll start there. Thanks

I have a 2011 F-150 also. Hooked up the boat trailer to the hitch, turned the light dial knob clockwise on the instrument panel and no lights working. After checking fuses, wires, ground wires, still no lights. Finally, went back to the light switch and pulled the dial on the panel outward and clockwise, and guess what? Lights on. By turning the light knob clockwise, the automatic sensor will turn the trailer lights on if it is dark enough outside. Pulling the dial outward will by-pass automatic sensor. Anyway, that's my story. I am neophyte to new truck digital technology.

When I pull my dial "out", it turns on the fog lights. If I turn it all the way to the right, I'm pretty sure that's the "auto" setting for the vehicle lights. If you think this will work, I'll surely give it a shot @hitumup59

• Baller
Before you replace all your wiring check all your fuses under the hood. I had a similar problem with my 2013 F250. Turns out that Ford has separate fuses for the running lights versus the brake lights, brakes etc. The idea is that if you lose a fuse the entire trailer won't go dark - only the affected area - the other areas will still work. I don't know for sure but Ford might be the only manufacturer that does this (but I was told others are moving this way).

Ok, I'll start there and investigate. I've got plenty of time before the boat needs to actually leave storage so it's not something I have to figure out tomorrow. I'll get out the manual and check the appropriate fuses.

Thanks for all the ideas folks.

I've checked the fuses and they all appear good. However, there are 3 relays; the trailer tow L stop/turn relay, the trailer tow R stop/turn relay and the back up lamps relay. Could these be the culprit? I have no idea how to test. Please assist @oldjeeep and @MISkier or whoever else. The relays are Ford 5L3T-AA if that helps. Are there aftermarkets I could pick up and switch out to see? Thanks gentlemen.

• Baller_

I'm not sure where to go next. I still thought you had a ground problem. If I recall correctly, your original symptom was that the lights stayed lit all the time with no blinker or stop. That could be a relay issue, but it would mean that both the right and left relays would be bad. That seems unlikely. I'll defer to @oldjeep.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Lets start over again here, I looked at your original thread and I'm not 100% clear on the behavior.

With the headlights off - I assume no lights on trailer

With headlights on - do you get the running lights on trailer?

With headlights off and blinker on - what happens on (L & R)

With headlights on and blinker on - what happens?

Same test with brake lights (Headlights on and off)

I'm going to check later and i'll answer each question above specifically. What I recall is, when I hook up my truck, all of the lights come on but only for the short time period when the auxillary lights are on. Once they "time out", I get nothing. All lights are black, no turn, no brake, no nothing. I don't believe I've tested with headlights on but I will do specified testing as above and report back later.

And, as mentioned, when I hook my sons truck up to it, everything works as it should.

• Baller
I just looked at a 2011 F150 manual - and I would be looking at Fuse 73 in the underhood fuse/relay box. That controls the brake/turn signals for both sides of the trailer lighting. Should be a 20 amp fuse - remove it and replace it - or remove it and test it for continuity if you have a meter (don't just look at it).

And................it's fuse 73!! I traded it out with the one immediately next to it and voila, it worked! Autozone has them and I'll be picking up a few tomorrow to keep in the truck just in case.

@oldjeep and @MISkier , thank you for all of your help and patience.

I never did answer the questions above. Lights off, absolutely nothing. Headlights on, only running lights. Once fuse replaced all was good. Thanks again.

I have a 2010 F250 Superduty that when I hook up to my camper, the lights to the camper only works when running lights are on with key off. When I turn the key pass the auxiliary I have no lights on camper at all. I have checked fuses replaced two of them with the same result. Could I have a bad ground? Please help I'm at a loss now! Lol! @oldjeep