Looking for info on EP Comp 2GK and Maha 2001

NoProblem

New member. First post. This seemed like the best spot to post this. I recently scooped up a couple skis and I'm having trouble finding any good info on them. First is the EP Comp 2GK. Dual plates in excellent condition. A few dings on the top and some discoloration on the tip but otherwise beautifully preserved. The vinyl feels brand new. The other is a Maha 2001. It's in really good shape too. Bindings are great. I don't think they are the Mr "M" but I'll have to look at the Maha site again. Pretty sure the are the comp plates. Not adjustable. Has the aluminum fin.

Really any info is good info. Years, correct option identification, value, cool stories. Anything. This is my fourth EP I now own and my second Maha. I've got a few other sticks as well.

• Baller_

The EP Comp 1 was one of the most revolutionary skis of its day. The Comp 1 was a concave bottom ski, while its companion, the X2, was a tunnel concave. The Comp 1 is considered by many to be one of the greatest skis ever, relative to its time. I'm not familiar with the Comp 2, but I note that it is a tunnel concave, and therefore speculate that it either preceded or followed the X2 (probably followed) and had many of the X2's characteristics.

The other remarkable EP's are the Stiletto, produced in the 80's and early 90's (after the G3's reasonably unremarkable run), and of course their honeycomb jumpers that were both lighter and more durable than anything else on the market at the time. It was amusing to see skiers sponsored by other ski companies riding EP jumpers with EP's graphic painted over and someone else's stenciled on.

I am less familiar with the Maha. The binding is definitely a Mr. M (which I used on my EP jumpers and trick skis in the 70's and 80's), and I would guess that the ski is a late 70's , early 80's vintage, maybe a little later. Bob LaPoint won Worlds on a wood Maha in 1980 according to Maha's web site. I think Maha stopped making cutting edge tournament skis in the 80's and focused on the speed skiing business, although Bob continues to make a wooden slalom ski.

Another interesting fact about your Maha is that you have a heel cup for your RTP, allowing you to get out of the water with one foot out, kick in and then lift the heel cup into place, giving you some of the benefits of a double high wrap while still allowing the skier to get up with one foot out. This was a really great system "back in the day" (I used it on my Mastercraft Super Star in the mid to late 80's), but it would cause problems in any but the longest of the man made lakes of today.

Between the two skis, my guess is that the Maha is the better/rarer find.

Lpskier

• Baller

The Maha is from 1978. That rear heel isn't the cup, it's the "Special High Heel". Here's a scan from a brochure I got from Maha back then with the info on the ski:

6d8eowazs7m4.jpg

I think that EP is early 80's. I had a 78 Comp 1 - it was also tunnel concave. I'll dig in my old ski box and see if I can find more info on it.

• Baller_

The tail in the Maha brochure is very narrow. I guess the ski otherwise rode quite high and they needed to go to extremes to get it to set into the water.

The heel cup I was describing was around as tall as the rear rubber on an older double high wrap, maybe a little lower. Of course it didn't have the wraps, which facilitated kicking into the RTP. You could step on the heel cup to press it to the side and kick in over it.

Lpskier

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff. I've got a Comp 1. I've had many offers on it. Not for sale. It was my fathers. You can see it in its original orange case in the last pic. The Superformer above it was my mothers and Superformer above that was my first personal slalom ski. I got it for my 10th birthday. I was STOKED. Up to that point I had to ride "family" skis. The Comp 2GK seems like kind of a rare duck and there is next to no info on the web about them. A friend texted me a picture of it and I went down and bought it a couple hours later. The Maha was sitting there with it. I couldn't pass it up. I've never been a Maha guy but, since acquiring a real nice wood one a couple years ago, I figured I'd make an offer on it and see what would happen. I offered $50 for both and they said ok. I guess I'm collecting Mahas now.

Thanks for that scan dchristman. Thats the first "pic" (obviously drawn) of that funky vinyl graphic I've seen. It doesn't show the tail graphic though. I wonder if that was an option. The ski itself is the last ski I bought. B) Probably won't be the last though.

• Baller
Great collection. I have that same vest that I got when I was 12 I think along with the 64" Comp 1 that it matched that I got at the same time. I still have some older stuff around including what I think is a first generation Connelly HP, a Stinger with a Maja binding on it, a pair of Connelly Wide Track tricks that are all beat up from use and some wooden skis that unfortunately my dad painted over. One of them was a Northland Bantam that I learned to ski the course on.

• Baller
Possible but I remember ads showing a truck on those skis mounted across cinder blocks. Maybe the top sticker/name was added in 75? Also those skis were constructed of hollow fiberglass beams. No foam. Or I have dimensia?

Alright! I contributed to discussion! Right on.

Chef! You spotted the vest. It's been in the family since it was new. I've got a photo of my uncle wearing it circa '79. Beautiful beach start behind one of the coolest flat bottoms ever to exist, The Wicked Witch. A Hallet Barron Sprint with a BBC and a necked lady on the deck. It was super rad. A sunset rip with a beach start and drop off followed by speed pass from the Witch. Man those were good days. It was the first picture I ever really took. ...ya, vest.

You also said Northland Bantam.

zeqoz7ipgdxc.jpg

d6386lpfl66h.jpg

ael1sr930u8o.jpg

Ipskier- The tail is really narrow. Hell, the whole ski is really narrow. Its got a really narrow forebody that tapers back to about the arch of the front foot and then tapers sharply back to the tail. It's almost a diamond shape. Classic LaPoint? ...or beginning Classic LaPoint? Genius mistake? I'm not familiar with anything previous Maha 2001 (now).

thager- Ya, hollow beams. It's really light. The EP next to it is a tank compared to it. I'm guessing at least a couple pounds difference. It was the first thing that caught my attention when I grabbed it.

While writing this I've got the boobtube on. Who pops on the screen? Why it's the #1 super guy...2mb8d33afsg8.jpg

• Baller
The EP looks mid 80's. I had the EP GX3 and the graphics are the same but in a different color scheme. I believe this was the step down from the GX3. In it's day the GX3 was fast but did not turn well.

• Baller

The Maha that a friend had would barely float. Hollow construction with beams carrying the load. Not a light ski at all. The wooden Mahas were excellent skis as were the EP Comp 1s. While these were the best in the time, the new skis are actually much better.

Eric

Ps it's dementia but the ads did have the Maha supporting a truck. Heavy over built ski.

Eleeski- You're right, not light ski in the grand scheme of things but, it's lighter than I expected it to be. I have much newer skis that are definitely heavier. It's certainly a cool piece for the mid 70s if nothing else. Like most of my skis, this one is just wall art now.

• Baller

When I was a teenager I wanted that Maha 2001 in the worst way. My dad decided to surprise me and my brother with a new ski.

He bought us the wood one...he told us it was the same price, and that the wood one must be better than a fibreglass one...lol...still have it.

• Baller
At some point, the Comp X2 was yellow and orange, and EP's top ski. I think I bought my first one around 1975-1977 range, so not sure when the pictured X2 GK came out. I know that I bought 2 and the last one had a curved swerve graphic vs the original strsight one. My guess is the GK with kevlar came out in early 80's. Shortly thereafter, the Stilletto must have came out as the top of the line. The original black ones were the bomb. After EP was sold, the purple ones were not as crisp for me. The story I heard was that the older gentleman who hand made the original Stilletto did not want to relocate.

Cool pic skibrain. I'd say you're dead on with the value. It's only worth what I paid for it. No matter. I couldn't just leave it at the Salvation Army Store.

Again, thanks for all the replies. They've been informative and entertaining. Good stuff. We might have to get into some Taperflex talk. I've only got one (confirmed). It was however my grandfather's. I might have another but, it has no markings.

• Baller

The '38 Off' became the 'Stiff' around '83-84ish I'm guessing. I got mine in '85. Bob changed his focus to speed skiing after the Stiff. I'm surprised no one has come up with his ad containing Suzanne Somers, although it would have to be a link, this being a family site and all.

• Baller

@NoProblem I found that Maha actually has the brochure that I scanned on their website. My postmark says they mailed it to me spring of '78 but the brochure is actually from '77:

mahaskis.com/pdf/Maherajah_1977_Catalog.pdf

Since the text says "since it's introduction three years ago" the puts it between '74 and '77.

I guess that's the final word on the Maha unless it has a serial number that can tell us the actual year...

I can't find a serial number on the Maha. I haven't pulled the rubber of the fin yet though. I'm worried I won't be able to get it back on or worse yet, tear it. I assume they are removable. Any idea what the proper fin removal sequence is for a '74-'77 Maha 2001 with the aluminum fin?

Question on the 66 38. What is the little yellow button looking thing right in front of the front binding?

• Baller

The yellow button was for a different binding that Maheraja had in the 80's. They made an adjustable binding that was quite clever, in that the front half of the binding moved forward, while the heel stayed fixed in place.

The idea was that the ankle and thus the weight of the skier would be in the same place on the ski regardless of foot size.

The yellow "button" was a stop for the sliding forefoot piece. They probably grabbed a production ski with that adjustable binding and switched it for the better binding for the photo shoot, leaving the stop on the ski.

• Baller
@NoProblem if the rubber piece is not dry or brittle, it can be removed. Each end of the rubber cover has a groove underneath and is made to be pulled/stretched and then lifted up. It might be easier to explain in reverse...to put it on, slide one end into place and then pull/stretch the other end over the fin block and the rubber than "shrinks" back into place. Clear as mud?

@estrom Sorry, I missed your post. The rubber feels factory fresh. It seems like it's been hermetically sealed in some vault. Actually both skis are that way. Really strange for being in the desert.

Would the serial number be under the fin assembly on this ski? I'd hate to even risk pulling the rubber off without knowing if it's there or not.

Again, thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.

• Baller
@NoProblem Good question about the serial number. I don't know the answer to that. If I think about it, I'll pull the rubber off mine next time I'm at the boat and see if that's where the serial number is located.