2001 x star /205v for recreational slalom

Daddyodaman

As the title suggests, I'm curious if anyone has skied behind an early mastercraft X star, the one with the same hull as the prostar 205.

Now I know I'm going to get a bit of "v drives suck for anything but wakeboarding", but given this is effectively highly regarded ski boat just with the engine in the back, I'm thinking maybe it's gotta be better to ski behind than say a v drive malibu or super air nautique.

I'm not looking at running a course (ever), just being able to ski aggressively behind it at about 30mph (on a river). I'm only a novice skier but hoping to improve, although I'm predominately a wakeboarder, and I want a boat that can do that and take the family and teach the kids to ski and board behind. I'm hoping it skies better than my friends malibu v ride, as that isn't much fun on a ski. I don't do 34 at 22 off or anything like that, I just want to rip it up a bit. Don't worry, I'm not trying to compare an x star to a response, just want opinions. I keep hoping a 205v/ x star/ x2 could work as a crossover?

• Baller

When I was searching around for v drive options, the older mc you are looking at was one that came up as being pretty ok to ski behind. Never seen anyone suggest that the newer x2 are good for skiing, but maybe the old ones are. The only 2 current model good ones are the Malibu vtx and sport nautique 200.

• Baller

at 30mph, any boat with the engine in the back is going to have a pretty big wake....a little faster and it will smooth out some....there will be a big rooster tail.

Since you are doing this for fun, you should experiment with different line lengths to find the best part of the wake.

You could look also look at an X7...decent for wakeboarding with a tower and full ballast....way better for slalom....but not a V-drive.

• Baller
I loved the MC 190 (ski only though) but was never impressed with the 205, std or V. Sport Nautique 200 really nice boat, $ though. +1 for the Malibu Sunsetter with wedge but a DD. Always thought the Sunsetter was kind of a magic boat, pretty good at slalom and wake, one of the best if not the best crossover ever. For you the Nautique SV-211 would be a strong option. SV-211 ski's OK, I skied a friends open water to -35 and it was fine, never tried it in course. Blows the other boats mentioned away for surf, wakeboard and interior room. http://www.wakeworld.com/products/index.php?l=product_detail&p=53653

• Baller
I think PS205V, early XStar, early X2 and X1 are one of the best skiing V-Drives and a great skiing cross over boat. It’s a good wakeboard, surfboat that skis very well. If you want a larger ski boat, from the same era, check out the Malibu Sunsetter LXI, they ski great for a large boat.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sunsetter is on my hit list if I can find a decent one, although most in the age I'm looking at 99-2002 have carbys which I don't think is ideal, especially since virtually every other manufacturer ran EFI by then. Also, everyone seems to suggest the Nautique 200 or 211, and malibu VTX, but these are WAY out of my price range unfortunately. ($60k vs my budget of $35-40k). I'm only considering a v drive because I would most likely board 60- 70% of the time (at this stage), and they are generally a bit roomier, plus they usually have factory ballast. I want a boat that can go from small to largish wakes, I don't care about making a surf wake. I just thought maybe the original x star would have the nicest v drive wake of the 99-2003 era boats. I've also been keen on an air Nautique dd, and considered a pro air Nautique, as there are a few cheaper ones available, and they are direct drives with ballast. Any thoughts?

• Baller

@daddyodaman you should be able to find monsoon EFI powered sunsetters lxi's out there. I helped my bro source a used boat last year and during search came across a number of them. They were above what he was looking to spend so he ended up in an older sport nautique with a GT-40 EFI.

A buddy has a sunsetter with the monsoon. Surprisingly good slalom and barefoot wake for a larger boat and doesn't handle like a larger boat, either.

I love sourcing boats...your problem solved. EFI monsoon, tower, stereo, 475 hours, decent price, worldwide shipping.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-MALIBU-SUNSETTER-LXI-for-sale-LEXINGTON-Kentucky-48569.aspx

Here's a whole page of 'em:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/used-ski-boats.aspx?PartMakers=true&MakerName=3&Model=59

Cool, looks like a sweet boat! The only problem is im in Melbourne Australia, so the shipping would be huge. The sunsetters here are mostly built here at the Australian plant, and I believe they put carbys in for longer than in the states. Plus our malibus tend to have less features standard than their American counterparts. That sucks. I'll just have to keep looking I guess! I'm not looking for world class slalom or wakeboarding wakes, so I'm sure I'll find a good all round boat. Eventually!

Don't be afraid to look at and older Tige. The 21v is an excellent crossover boat. Respectable slalom wakes, respectable to excellent wakeboard wakes and very respectable to excellent surf wakes. I know you said you're not concerned about surf wakes but, one day you'll want to give it whirl and the old Tiges are great for that. Very easy to get great wakes out of. Great open water boats too.

One thing I'd stay away from in any older boat is factory ballast. The systems of that vintage are generally terrible from any of the manufacturers. Little dinky pumps. 3/4" fill and drains and just generally poorly designed setups. I'd be looking for a boat with no ballast. A new system is pretty easy to DIY and will perform way better. Much has been learned about ballast systems in the last 15 years. Same with towers. Factory towers were awful back in the day. There were only a few that didn't wobble themselves to death.

This boat looks very nice. It is a Limited. The nicer of the two versions they produced. The other was the Riders Edition. It was more of a budget build. The Limiteds had a much nicer interior. This one also has a Samson tower on it. One of the few good "vintage" towers. It doesn't say so but it should have the Merc 350 Mag MPI in it. It's at least worth looking at.

boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3271653/2004-Tige-21V?cr=8&psq=%28%28%28Service%3DBoatsales%26BoatAll%3Dkeyword%5BTige%5D%29%26Price%3Drange%5B0..40000%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Thanks for the tip. I actually called that owner about the tige 21v, as Im currently in the same town as it so looking would have been easy, but it's sold. Now I'm thinking a Sunsetter lxi would be top of the list, and I called a guy with one but I won't be able to look at it for a couple of weeks unfortunately. There are a couple of mastercraft 205's up the same way too so I might try to see more than one boat, given its a 4 hour drive from home. No real hurry now that the cold weather will be setting in soon I guess

I have slalom skiied behind the 205V hull in the X-1 configuration. I chose the later X-2 for wakeboarding and skiing. The 205V hull throws a wake that has a great lip at slower speeds - it is steep and can really help the newer rider get extra lift for great air. The transition is about at 26 mph. At 30 mph the wake is a bit hard. The newer X-2 has a "wake plate" that is a trim tab that allows the hull to be trimmed down and the wake is still big, but softer and easier to cross. The downside of the X-2 hull is that it wanders a bit more than the 205V hull in the course and it does not have tracking fins. Both hulls can be ballasted down well for good boarding and surfing. The 205V hull is narrower and can be ballasted down with less ballast.