Progressing Behind an Old Boat

RoundhouseFaceKick

My ski partner has a 1995 Sunsetter that we alternate skiing behind several times a week. The other boat we ski behind is a a late model LXi. The wake behind the older boat is extremely noticeable at all line lengths and I can't help but feel like it's in the way of real progress on the water. I would prefer skiing behind my LXi, and I obviously can't ask my partner to get a new boat. My question to you is: Would you say something about the issue and offer more time behind the LXi, or would you bite your tongue, and deal with the big wake several times a week? I'm a mid 35 off skier most sets behind the LXi and I'm having a great day to get through 32 behind the Sunsetter

• Baller

I would say still ski his boat but there is no need to be cutting the line too short every time you are out on the water. Focus on technique when you are out and longer lines and you will see more improvement behind your boat. Take some volume sets at longer lines http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/194765

or follow @Jody_Seal's advice

• Baller
They pretty much got the bugs out of the slalom wakes in most boats in the 1990's. My boat is a 1994 Nautique. It's wake is just as flat as the new boats at slalom speeds, but it is not as soft. Older boats will expose weaknesses in your lean across the wakes verses newer boats. Smaller skiers don't like my boat. If you are bigger than a 150 pounds and still feeling more than a slight bump, then you are not on edge enough.

• Baller_
For me, I would supply the better boat. It's true that the rougher wake will make you improve your form. But, at 140 pounds, I pay a certain price regardless of my form. I would want to at least avoid any increase in OTF probability and potential resulting injury. That seems to increase for me with every crossing of a bigger wake. Each bounce seems to throw me slightly forward when I'm not skiing right, so any mistakes in form are usually catastrophic.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Do you guys ski off the dock, where both boats are located, or do you trailer to a location? We're off the dock guys for the most part, and each use our own boat. Naturally this is not so much of an option when you're trailering.

• Baller

Like @DaveLemons said, video may be instructive as to what YOU're doing differently.

Mid 90s Sunsetter LX is definitely a hard wake (not to be confused with my beloved, diamond-hull Sunsetter LXi, which has a great wake), but I'm surprised it's making that big a difference at 32 off. At 22 off and longer/slower, yeah, I get it (at those lengths/speeds, it 'builds character').

• Baller
I have a 96 supra ts6m comp on a lift on the river. Friend I ski with during the week has 02 malibu response on a lift on the river also. I usually get out with him 3 times a week. We skied behind my boat once last year when his was in the shop. I jokingly called him a big sissy that never wants to ski behind my boat. He said. I dont hear you complaining much about it. I smiled and handed him the full 5 gallon gas can that I brought. I use my boat on weekends with another friend or if my malibu buddies not around.