spectra vs normal rope

goodeski123

A fair while a go someone told me to use sprectra for my trick rope, he said it will get my flips more consistent. This has made me wonder what the difference is between spectra rope and normal rope?. I know that normal rope stretches more than spectra but how does this effect your skiing performance on the water? And what is the benefits for spectra? I haven't tried spectra yet but if you recommend it i'll whip up a new spetra rope and try it out.

thx

Spectra works great for tricks and wakeboarding. It is very difficult to use for slalom as you don't get and stretch and recovery. With wakeboarding and tricks, loading the rope allows the stored energy to be released in the air - without the rope pulling you toward the boat at increased speed. This gives you extra height and length to the jumps and better stability on the landing (only word that is commonly used, but really does not make sense). In slalom, the stretch of the rope softens the hit by extending the time when you apply load and then it recovers during the transition - you get a bit of a "slingshot" effect. Slaloming with a specta rope is very difficult because the hookup after the buoy must be perfect - and the timing is different. It is a fun experiment - try it with a wakeboard rope.

• Baller

For tricks, a low stretch rope is a must. The feel is so much better and noticeable that you really need to get one. For both hands and toes.

Kirk broke his rope and had to use a slalom rope for a tournament run. Zeroed missing his easy opening BFL. He never misses that one. Stole my rope after that.

I'm getting one of those Echo ropes to replace my missing rope. Not spectra but something equally stiff. I haven't skied it yet but just playing with it, it appears to have the stretch I want and is reasonably tangle resistant. Spectra ropes are typically smaller diameter and some tangle horribly. Ryan at Echo gives a kickback to college skiing - another big plus for his ropes.

On the subject of stiff pulls, I prefer my ZO setting at C3. Honestly I don't really notice if it gets left at B2 but I haven't had my best sets there. A1 feels like a rubber band and I can feel that working against me. PP with a paddlewheel feels good as well but it is unskiable in RPM mode or without the paddlewheel.

Eric

• Baller

Most trickers use B3 (Stan's boat defaults to that, other boats I'm not sure. Mine is locked in at C3). The response to loads most skiers apply will be pretty similar B or C. Do train some at B3 as someone will forget and leave it at B3. Still I recommend C3 - at least try it.

@mlusa had some ideas about transitioning from PP to ZO. Maybe he will weigh in here.

Don't stress over the settings. It's not like slalom. Without a stiff rope you won't feel anything.

Eric