• Baller

the children are our future

so don't let them wakeboard

BallOfSpray

Change to:

The Children are our Future

Get them out on the Water

Ball of Spray

I say that because as much as I may not like the wakeboard............my daughter loved it which got her out on the water with me and well guess what I just bought her? Yup her first slalom ski because she wanted it! That my ski friends made me a happy dad! :)

• Supporting Member

I'll be honest: I find obnoxious elitism to be pretty darn funny, so I would totally wear that.

But as far as my own kids, I don't see why any particular activity should be favored. They need to look for their own passion.

• Baller

The kids can wakeboard all they want... so long as the don't mind paying for the board, the gas, and can drive for each other. Oh, and maintain all the shoreline. And probably some payback for hours on the boat as well.

Besides that I've got no issue with it.

• Baller
I Wakeboarded for a bit, fancied myself pretty damn good until this one little crash that give me a concussion. 27 years of hockey, about the same on a slalom ski, never a problem, 1/2 dozen times on a wakeboard and whamo. Lucky for me my kids were first hand witnesses to my misfortune therefore no Wakeboards occupy my boat... Hahaha cost me a few days work and a bit of a headache but has saved me long term.

• Baller_
I mentioned this elsewhere. We have two lakes in NY that always have a lot of juniors at tournaments; the rest, not so much. What do the two lakes have in common? A really big rope swing that the kids can play on when not skiing. The moral of the story is that if you want kids to come to tournaments, you need to provide alternative kid friendly and appealing entertainment. Watching other skiers, "learning to judge," and riding a bike just don't cut the mustard.

Lpskier

Accessibility! Living in the uk which is not blessed with masses of big lakes the problem with getting kids to slalom is that all the available boat time is taken up by people over the age of 40!

If you live in London its next to impossible for a kid to get to ski. However, they can go round and round a cable on a wakeboard for as long as they like.

If the people that run this sport had any degree of foresight they would see that the sport will completely die unless they promote tournament skiing for kids and give them boat time.

I have an 11 and 8 year old who cable wakeboard but really want to slalom like their Mum, Dad and big sister but the only time they can practise slalom regularly is when we go on holiday to Florida!

• Baller
@Hipsup when my kids started skiing, I had to "give" some of my ski time to them if I wanted it to be a family thing. My son has actually skied on a few lakes I have not, just cause there was an opportunity for 1 person to get a set, and he wanted to ski. I know it will pay dividends later down the road.

lpskier you are right. Princes closing was a terrible loss for British skiing. Sadly, the british waterski federation couldn't have cared less at the time!

GOODSKIER, been there done that and down to about 2-3 sets a week just so my eldest daughter can ski.

At our club there is now only 1 serious slalom lake which is pre booked at the start of the year by the same people for every single slot every weekend. There is no turn up and ski and the only slots that come available on weekends or weekday evenings in the summer are cancellations. My wife has one weekend slot, my daughter has 3 and I have none. My younger kids cable wakeboard and I drive the car and sign the cheques!!