First time on a carbon fiber/PVC core ski

• Baller

Most people on this forum are clearly better skiers than I am and probably have much more experience on top-of-the-line skis. But I figured there are a few other people like me out there who may benefit from my recent experience.

I am mid-40's, tall, slender and not particularly athletic. I am a recreational skier and never plan to compete. I skied a course a couple dozen times in my early 20s on my 1990 Connelly HP. My personal best at that time was a full pass at 15 off, 36 mph. I don't think I ever tried going shorter. I took a 20-year break from skiing, but I will start skiing a course again this year due to a renewed interest in the sport.

Until two years ago I had really only skied on 20-year-old skis, but then decided to purchase the Connelly V as I was getting back into the sport. It took me a few sets to get used to it but I really liked the stability and forgiveness it provided. The V is probably as much ski as I will ever need. However, I had been really curious to try a carbon fiber/PVC core ski that seems to be the construction of all the top-end skis today. I finally got on a Prophecy and skied five sets on it in open water during the last two days.

My first impression is that I felt like I was standing on a banana peel with a rocket engine attached to it. I was really surprised at how different it felt compared to the V, which is already significantly lighter than my '90 HP. It is amazing how light it feels on the water and how easy it is to make corrections coming out of the turn. In the sport of snow skiing the feeling of the Prophecy would be called "flickable" and "playful." Those terms don't seem appropriate for a water ski, but I don't know how else to describe it. When I successfully got myself into relatively good position coming out of the turn I was amazed at how fast I then rocketed across the wakes.

It was also very noticeable how different the water felt under the ski compared to the V (and even more so compared to the old HP). The V and the older HP are much damper -- it seemed like I could feel the Prophecy hit every ripple (and obviously the wake) with what I would describe as a "ping." I would definitely prefer a PU core ski like the V if I were regularly facing choppy or rough water. However, the Prophecy provides an exhilarating ride and I look forward to getting accustomed to it and improving my technique so that I do not well up with fear every time I yell "hit it."

I feel a sense of relief that I have now experienced a top-end ski and yet a little disappointed that it did not magically make me an expert skier after my first set on the ski (yes, I logically know this was an unrealistic idea). It is clear to me that my fear was causing me to not ride the ski well, because my legs and glutes were quite sore after my session yesterday, which I don't remember experiencing before. I believe I was working much harder than usual to keep the ski under me, which was made worse by my apprehension that was causing me to put too much weight on the back leg. I'm going to give myself some more time with the Prophecy before selling my V, but it is nice to know I still have my friendly labrador retriever as a backup to this new pitbull/greyhound mix.

• Baller
@TallSkinnyGuy I am not sure where you are from, but if you have a trusted skier that can identify ski set up and help fine tune your ski set up while helping you maintain a stack........ that might be well worth it in your transition to the new ski.

• Supporting Member

Btw, @TallSkinnyGuy, even though you never "plan" to compete, I suggest you don't rule it out. There is so much to be learned from going to tournaments, and anybody who can run some pass can get something out of it.

If it doesn't turn out to be your thing, then so be it. But don't think that you aren't good enough and don't underestimate how much better you can get!

• Baller

@GOODSkier I haven't actually been to the site yet -- it is not Marcus Brown's site. If you look at Chico on Google map there are four (I think) ski lakes on the west side of Chico. Two of them have houses on the lakes and two of them don't. I think my friend's lake is one of them without a house on it.

@Than_Bogan I do like the idea that I can get better. Because I am not naturally athletic I have to be patient and really focus on developing proper technique. The toughest thing for me right now is getting the water time.

• Baller_
That was a better ski review then we are used to around here. I think posts like this one and the Handle to the hips thread are great. It is nice to hear what newer skiers have to say about technique and what they feel as compared to the 41 off crowd.

I have followed a similar ski path as you, with a big break and them getting back into it in the last year and a half. I have had the same experience coming from and 20 year old EP to a New HO and it was just as you have described. I am in Chico and know what site you talk about but have not been on it. Thanks for sharing.