Radar P6 or HO TX, Old Big Guy

dnadrifter

Looking for some specific advice on which ski to get. I am 41, 6'5", 250. I haven't skied in probably 15 years, but would like to try it again as we are about to get a boat. I grew up skiing, but was always just a recreational skier....never ran a course.

I basically just want to cut back and forth, throw up some spray, have some fun, and not frustrate myself trying to get up with my old and declining legs. I am deciding between a 2014 HO TX, 71" and 2015 Radar P6, 71". The TX, looks like the better technology ski, but not sure I would notice a difference. From reading what I can, the P6 might be the "easier" skiing ski.

I kind of want the HO, because it looks cooler and has that textured bottom etc., not sure it is best for what I actually want to use it for though.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

• Baller

I have the Triumph which is an earlier version of the TX and also a HO Freeride ski. When my back hurts or I am having trouble with deep starts with my narrower skis or I just want to have fun and swerve, the HO Freeride is a great ski. Easiest ski for me to get up on other than the Connelly Big Daddy. I started 2.5 years ago with the Big Daddy ski the switched to the Triumph as I progressed. I picked up a Blem Freeride and the one thing I notice about it is it's easy deep starts, and less arm fatigue. It has the textured surface and is supposed to have 50% less drag.

I weigh 225 and the narrower skis are hard on my back and for me to deep start. Take the wing off. That helps reduce drag.

• Baller
You are about 10 pounds heavier than I was when I got back into the sport and I started on a 69" HO Freeride but soon switched to a 69" Monza. I think at 250 a 71" Tx Would work fine. That said depending on what kind of shape you are in a 71" P6 will be. Easier to get out of the water on.

@dnadrifter, we bought several triumphs over the years, and they served us well. I also started skiing again with a big daddy, then a 71" triumph, when I was heavier. I have a (approx) 2009 or 2010 71" triumph with an upgraded sindicate fin block, in excellent condition. $75. Not sure where you live, the postage might be kind of high. Good luck.

• Baller
@dnadrifter I expect the textured surface might mike a small difference in the speed of the ski but I don't think it would have as much of a difference on the drag you feel as the size of the ski.

I'm 40, 6'6" and now down to 220! (from 230), I have a 71" P6 and it's what I'm learning on. I've learned deep water starts on it, it's good enough for the course, and you can ride it slow (like 26-28mph slow) if you want. I also have an older 69" HO Comp Freeride (Triumph type ski), that I ride in the free water at 34MPH+ otherwise it sinks. The P6 is cheap and effective, good ski.

Here's a thread I started a while back...

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/10538/learning-the-course-235lbs-69-ski

• Baller

I'm 59 and 235 lbs and love my 71" triumph (2012) steps in bottom but no textured finish

That being said I think you may do better on the P6 71" to get back into skiing

Bit easier to deep water start I think so more energy left to ski with after getting up

Go the Tx next year

• Baller_

Because of the clean edge technology, the Freeride is a ski that makes deep water starts easier than any other ski of similar width....this allows the Freeride to be a deep water start monster, yet something you can still cut and carve on.

The TX is a decent step up in performance and ski ability, and still makes getting out of the water a breeze, just not quite as effortless as the Freeride.

MB

• Baller

@MarcusBrown thanks for the Freeride. I feel like I can ski on it forever at times. Easy deep starts and easy on the arms but still lays down some nice turns. Pretty cool ski.

I watched your Baja video and enjoyed it. I would love to ski BOLA. I had a chance to ski Bahia Concepcion, Mulege, Baja Sur. Amazing glass, deserted private beaches. Small islands everywhere to ski around. Next Baja Vacation. I will drag the boat down.

• Baller
@dnadrifter The other critical ingredient is boat speed. Unless I missed it, I didn't see your preferred skiing speed. The TX is best suited for speeds 28-34 and is equally at home on open water or in the course. The Freeride is best suited for speeds UNDER 28 mph. As Marcus alluded, it's very user friendly for a wide range of skiers and can be ridden behind any boat in any condition. You can even try it with a long wakeboard line and handle...way back where there's almost no wake! Both skis are quite forgiving and a lot of fun.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

Looking at going with last years vector bindings 10-14. If I go with the feather version will I be able to put the rear on a HO TX if I decide to change skis? How much of an advantage are the feather versions because they are lighter.

41 isn't even close to declining! There are quite a few around here that are much older than 41 and still skiing hard. Get in the gym if you aren't already, get in the best shape you can and get after it. I'm 46 and just decided to try to run the course this year. (less than 4 weeks until ski school)

• Baller

The older Vectors were hard for me to get in. Size 14. The Vectors broke after 2 years and I bought 2013 model HO Attacks. I believe Radar may have upgraded the material that broke since then. Recommend you try on the Vectors on, especially if your foot size is in the upper end of the 10-15 range.

Pretty sure the front bindings are universal holes and am about 50% certain that the Vector Feather Frame is for Radar Ski only, and their Aluminum frame will fit Radar and HO. I'd call Performance Ski Shop or another knowledgeable shop and confirm. A 250 lb skier won't notice a difference in plate weight.

HO Attacks (after the black with red stitch model) have a "power hook" in place of the top lace eyelet. The hook allows the tongue to open wider making it much easier to get my foot in. The Attacks also only lasted 2 years due to poor stitching.

I had to slightly modify the rear Attack binding by drilling/widening the back 2 slots of the aluminum plate to fit my Radar ski.

• Baller

@dnadrifter

I have Vector AL plate on my Theory.

Only minor problems with the plastic lock parts on the bungy cord.

Lock mechanism fell off so I added a thin piece of rope to not loose it.

I have Vector FF on my free ski Senate.

They are for sure lighter. I like them equally much.

I have heard that a few persons have had problems with the plastic breaking (screw holes).

For a big guy I would buy AL just in case they could break.

Old Big Guy o:)

I was 52 the first time I saw a SL course and that was the first time I got towed behind a real water-ski boat.

Took me approx 70 runs to make all six (@26)

PB was set last run in November, 4@34 so you are most likely way ahead of me soon!

This year goal is to make a few on 22 off

Also starting tricking late last season (age 56). I have now made type 17 runs and can make my first tricks.

Side Slide on side, SS off side, Back Wrap onside.

Recommend it, Tricking was way more fun than I expected and it did immediately improve my SL form (Stacked position).

It is also great for the confidence (to have results in two disciplines)

Keep us posted on the progress...

Best luck!

Peter from Sweden

I am starting to reconsider now. Thinking about the freeride again. What I really want to do at least at first is have the easiest time getting up and skiing, with the least fatigue as possible, while still be able to cut and carve a bit. When I get back into it and get my confidence up, maybe then I should step up to a P-6 or TX. Maybe an end of the year 2015...

What do you guys think? Will a free ride be less fatiguing both while skiing and getting up than a P-6? I could still get the vector bindings and put them on the free ride.

I am not sure about skiing at less than 28 mph though. I always had to ski closer to 34+ to feel like I wasn't dragging when I skied before. Probably because my ski was too small for me.

• Baller

@dnadrifter

Another idea that might make you more confused =0)

How about get two skis. For example a big ski like the the Free ride / Big Daddy to train on starts and free ski a bit on?

Also get a P6 to improve your SL form and start in the course on days when you feel strong

Both are reasonable cheap (if your wallet can take it) and great performer skis for their intended usage.

Worst case consider RTP’s and use the Big Daddy as a drop ski when riding the P6.

You will then have the best of both worlds…

(You can always upgrade bindings later)

I started with the Big Daddy and moved on to the Theory and this was how I got into more serious skiing.

The Big Daddy is still in the garage for beginners that want to learn.

I plan also to keep the Theory for advanced guests when I go for next ski (most likely this later this season).

I find the P-6 fine to get up on, it's an easier ride than my older HO CompFreeRide. I can ski the P-6 slow if I want, like really slow 28-. The HO needs to be over 34 or else I'm sunk. The P-6 is cheap and you get the nicer Radar bindings. I have size 15 feet and they fit well. The P-6 can ride nicely in open water and is aggressive enough for the course. I'm not sure how it handles rough water since I rarely ski after 10 AM. I suggest a 71" P-6 it will do you no wrong and can be easily had for less than $300.