Setting Up A Ski For -38

ozski

• Baller
I've read it more than once on this forum and I do understand that not all skis will need the same adjustments and skiers will vary etc .. But when I hear the term "setting the ski up to work at -38 (or shorter)" whats changing from the -28 - -35 range setups? Are you tuning to enable easier management of the extra speed? Is there some other goal? If a ski is 'tuned" to run -38 / -39 does it become a bit of a pig at -28? Thoughts?

• Baller_

@ozski I don't know who said that, but I disagree with the basic premise that a ski is setup for a given line length. Any ski adjustments should be made with the intent to work better for that skier at whatever line length he is skiing.

Something that may be contributing to the confusion is the mistake some skiers make by trying to adjust their ski at a line length they are just learning to run. That is if you are trying to run 38, you try to adjust the ski for a better 1 ball for example. IMO, if you are trying to run 38, all adjustments should be made to make the ski work at 32 and 35, then all adjustments at 38 are made to the skier.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

On the other hand, you want to set up the ski so that it performs its best at the skier's most difficult line length. If a skier opens at -28 and skis to -38, and the ski turns great at -28 and not so great at -38, I'd say the settings are not right. So what if the ski is a little harder to turn on your opener than it could be if it works better at your hardest two passes (i.e. the hardest pass you can run and the pass you are trying to run).

Lpskier