Malibu PTM Mirror Mod

DkLkSkr

• Baller
Has anyone with an older Malibu modified their existing mirror bracket to install the PTM mirror. From what I understand one would have to cut the existing U-shaped mirror mount in order to use the mount that works with the PTM mirror. Is this modification easy? Does anyone have after installation pictures? Is there another way to install this mirror that is easier than the manufacturer suggested install? From the consensus on this site it sounds like a great upgrade. Thanks!

• Baller

@DkLkSkr I've got a PTM on my 03 RLxi. I've used it mounted it to the walk thru windshield section via the U-shaped mount, and also closer to the driver with the $100 carbon/resin PTM (CFR-200) mount. There are pros/cons to either of these mounting options...I'm not sure which I prefer. I presently have my boat here at home and can post photos later or answer any specific questions you might have, either by PM or via this thread.

In the meantime, here is a link you may find helpful (although you may need to be a "member" of the malibu site to view the photos)...

themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37481-ptmedge-mirror-on-03-rlxi/?hl=edge

• Baller

I'll take some pictures this weekend of the CFR-200 mount on my boat and add them here.

Generally speaking, the closer you can get the PTM mirror to the driver, the better it works. However, given the (low) windshield design of the 03-06 RLXi, it can interfere with viewing what is ahead.

While I can gladly expand on this....the short answer IMO.... is that the CFR-200 mount is the better option if your boat is to spend the majority of its time tugging through a course on private water. The U-shape mount is the better option if your boat is also used for recreation on public waters (where you need to be aware of other boat traffic).

• Baller

So the pic above is using the CFR-200 mount. To the left of it, you can see the other mount option...on the "U" shaped bar.

I'm about 5'10" and prefer to drive with flip-up bolster seat up, looking over top of windshield. Thus there can be some visual interference from the mirror depending on where it is positioned.

• Baller
@davemac This is great, you answered my questions perfectly. Thanks for posting!! I was able to go to the Malibu crew site as well and log in to see the full photos. Looks like for my purposes the "U" shaped bar mount will be the best option. It looks like a pretty easy modification. I really appreciate the guidance!