Very confused about a ski choice.

Hallpass

• Baller

Hello All. I hate to write a novel, but I know if I don't throw out a lot of facts and information, you will ask the questions anyway, so here goes: I'm 51 yrs old. 6'2" and currently 240 lbs. I don't expect I'll ever go below 225 again. Have been as high as 255.

Been skiing since I was 5. Ran the slalom course a bit in my teens, and again in my late 20s. Haven't tried for at least 15 years. Mostly wake boarded from 2000 to 2005. In 2006 I underwent my first back surgery. Doctors said no more wake boarding. Wasn't sure I'd ever get up on a ski either. With the help of a set of Clenchers, and 71 inch HO Magnum, I could get up - barely - and couldn't do a whole lot when I did. From 06 to 2013, I only skied a couple of times per year. In 2013 I underwent a fusion in the cervical spine. Since then, I don't remember trying to ski until just two weeks ago. My 7 year old daughter picked it up last year, and now at 8 she wants to go out all the time. So, two weeks ago, I pulled out the Clenchers and the Magnum. To my surprise, I got up pretty easily, took some aggressive turns at 32 mph, and even snapped the handle back into the boat. The next day I skied with regular gloves and again had little trouble. I wanted to see if I could get up on a "regular ski" so last weekend I pulled out a 68" Connelly Concept that I bought back in 97. Again, to my surprise, got up with out too much problem,

and of course skied much better than I could on that Magnum. I was fine at 32 and 34 though calling me rusty would be kind. So, fresh off a confidence run ,and tired of spending all my time driving the boat, I started to research skis.

I know HO the best. Thought the CX or CX Superlite looked the best, but learned it does not come in a 71. Not sure the 69 is enough Ski.

Then looked at the TX or TX Superlite. Seems like a 69 would be ok and they have a 71 if necessary, but that ski is almost an inch wider than the CX and just not sure about that.

I decided to research some other skis and the Radar Senate or Graphite Senate seemed like potential choices. Not sure if

I would need a 69 or a 71, however. I saw something on this site about a Senate Lithium, but did not find that on Radar's site.

So those are the three skis I had in mind. Would appreciate any thoughts on length and materials. Of course I am open to other ideas, but was not real keen on a ski limited to 30 mph or less.

Oddly enough, I live in a waterfront community, but there are not a lot of skiers here. Wakeboarding and surfing dominate, and I haven't found a good shop within a reasonable distance to demo skis. I figure do some good research and take a chance. I'm sure any of the choices above would be far superior to what I have.

Thank you,

BKH

• Baller
First off, if there is a question about size go longer. I say based on what you say your current skill levels are. The Senate is a good ski. I'm not really up to date on them but Radar once made a Senate Carbon. That would be a good choice I think. Good luck.

@Hallpass, given your speed, performance, and surface area needs, you may want the 71" tx, which will take you into 34 mph ( especially free skiing), or the 71" senate, that I think has an even higher performance ceiling. The 69" tx superlight might have enough surface area for you, but you should demo them, if possible to make sure. Good luck.

• Baller

Ha Ha. 250 views and only two comments. I guess I should have realized that there probably aren't a lot of folks on here with extremely broken bodies, still willing to do this at over 30 mph :)

Thanks for your thoughts LeonL and Bogboy. I was kind of thinking bigger would be better for me as well. At least for now.

I'll just make it easy. I'll worry about the broken body and just ask if anyone here has any strong thoughts on the skis

6'2, 240 lbs, 51 years old - Senate, CS, TX - your opinions?

Best Regards, and thank you.

• Baller

Look down this forum for "big guy looking for ski". Thread. Lack of posts bc exact question asked.

I am 225 and started using a Connelly Big Daddy off the wakeboard tower 2 years ago to get up on a deep start. Once I got the technique better I transitioned to a Triumph 71 then bought a 69. Equivalent to the TX.

I also bought an HO Coex SL which is like the CX super lite. It was much harder to get up on but a very fun ski. I now ski a Connelly Carbon V which is wider for us big guys but has the turning capabilities of narrower skis. The HO Freeride is a great ski also. Very easy to get up on. Still turns great. And is less demanding on the arms and back. When my back is sore or arms tired it is my go to ski. I am just beginning to try the course and suck but still having fun.

• Baller

Thanks Gents.

Commuterfisher I did read that thread. I believe I read three or four. If I recall there was discussion of graphite vs. alloy on the Senate, and perhaps a little discussion of the Triumph. A couple of folks voted for a Theory or P6. If I recall one guy was about 6'5" and the consensus pushed him toward a 69" ski. Another Gent was under 6" and the consensus pushed him to a 67.

Here, already a couple of folks chimed in encouraging me to look at the longer ski, so I've ultimately gotten some value out of posting.

I will look at the Carbon V.

In the end, these are just skis. Not a life and death decision. I'd prefer not to make a mistake on something that will cost around $1000. But, if I do, I can alway sell, take a loss and try again. I've certainly made bigger mistakes with cars and a starter wife :).

Again, thanks of the input. Any other insight welcome.

• Baller

@Hallpass. One way is to test skis at a ski school/or rep demo. Another, is to do a trial with one of the Internet "try before you buy programs". Ski it Again.com also has great used skis and closeouts. Once you have some bindings you like, you can trial skis or pick up "blems" on eBay. All of my skis are blems or last years model. Ski companies change skis around every 2 years or so. So I bought 1 year old blems that were the same models as "this years" ski. It took me some $ and time to find a ski that suited me. I still fall back on the "easy" ski the Freeride when my body says go easy. So the Freeride was not a waste of $.

• Baller

Have you looked at Ski-It-Again.com for a ski? If you don't want to spend that $1K to get started there are a lot of good skis on SIA in your range that won't kill the bank account initially. Until you get rolling with it and know more exactly how you want to go ski wise this is a great lower cost way to get started IMO. Attached one link from SIA but there are plenty in your size range to look at. Enjoy!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=32033

• Baller

The advice above is excellent. You couldn't go wrong with a Senate Graphite 71" or 69". You are just over the recommended weight for the 69. $649 brand new on Radar website. Maybe @eddie_roberts_jr could give better advice.

All the brands are good but my wife loves her Radar Senate C.

• Baller
@Hallpass I am 6' and weigh about 230 right now and ski on a 68" Strada at the moment and it is plenty of ski. That ski comes in a 69.5" size also and I think would work well for you. The Senate at 69" is a pretty big ski and it would provide plenty of support at 240lbs. I skied a 68.5" HO A1 at 240 lbs with no problem either. I ski 34 mph into 35 off but start in the spring at 32 mph 22 off and it works fine.

• Baller
I 'm pretty sure you'd really get along well with the 71" Senate, either the Carbon or the Lithium version. The Carbon is 100% carbon with a polyurethane foam core. The Senate Lithium version is all carbon with the lighter PVC core. When we designed the 71" Senate we stretched the 69" ski out to 71 but didn't make it any wider so your platform will be longer but it will sit a little deeper. It skis very nice for a bigger guy.

• Baller

Thanks for the feedback Gents. I did get into a ski shop last week that had the CX, TX, Senate Alloy and Senate Graphite. Unfortunately, did not have Senate or CX in 71s. Also had a poor selection of boots. I plan to be in Seattle next week, so I'm going to try to figure out

how to go by Wiley's, or maybe even Radar and HO.

• Baller

Darren is one of the nicest guys in the industry. His shop is almost a museum, along with everything new. I've been a pretty loyal HO guy most of my skiing life, but I'll tell you, that senate is sweet. And like @Ed_Obermeier mentioned, SIA is a great site to sell it of you hate it. Those Senates don't last long. Tell you what, you buy it and hate it, I'll buy it from you. I gave my uncle my 93 Nautique and I've pretty much decided, that's the ski he needs. Radar is putting out some fantastic skis.

I'm on a vapor right now, well, not right now.

• Baller

I ran a 69 Senate C into 38 off in the 240-something range. It will work at slower long lines and not disappoint you as you progress. Don't rule out the 69.5 Strada or Vapor if you can find one in your price range on SIA. I tested a lot of the longer skis and both turn better than most of the bigger boards. My preference would be the Vapor. Skiing those at 250-260.

The problem with the bigger skis like Triumph and P6 is that you really are capped at top speed. They are not very suitable for over 32 mph skiing. As a larger skier, speed is your friend, as you get on top of the water better, so as you progress and speed up, the ski will hold you back.

just my 2c.

• Baller

Best info I've seen on the bigger skis @A_B .true about the performance cap on the P-6 and Triumph too. I really love what Radar is doing with their top of the line shape, but dialed back materials. Makes world beater shapes available to a skier that doesn't need record capability. I think skiers can feel like they are getting the best, top-of-the-line ski, but dialed to the performance level they actually need. Probably better for the skier's performance too.

I've got a man-crush on Radar lately. Ski a Strada or a Vapor, you will too

• Baller

I'd be remiss if I didn't chime in here...

The TX in a 69 or 71 or the Superlight TX in a 69 would be my recommendation. The standard TX is a machined PU core with Carbon/Glass layup. The Superlight TX is machined PVC with a full Carbon layup. Those things aside, the key features of the TX shape are stability and drag reduction. This ski was designed for skiers like you who want an aggressive ski that is still easy to ride. Bob LaPoint's daily driver is the SL TX. He's a big guy who still crushes -35.

I understand your concern about width. Not all wide skis are created equal. The TX is actually only about .3" wider than the CX at the widest part of the ski. The thing you'll notice right off the dock is the reduction in drag compared to your old Magnum or even the Concept. This is where the clean edge tail really shines. It helps a wider ski to feel light by creating lift. At the end of the day, lift and reduced drag = less wear and tear on the body = more skiing...

If you're headed to Seattle, definitely pay a visit to any of our local proshops (Adrenaline in Bellevue, Seattle Watersports in north Seattle, Wiley's in south Seattle, just to name a few).

Thanks for being a loyal HO customer!!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

From a beginer compared to all pros.

My experiences.

Started off on Big daddy. Learned starts. Too big for progress

Next ski was the Theory. Very capable ski. Great to learn resonable stacked position

Johan Efverström runs 35off@34 on the Theory.....

Use also a regular Senate. It is substansially more advanced ski.

Turns much quicker and has a better acceleration.

The drawback ia a far less forgiving ski.

Johan runs 38off@36 on the regular Senate.

Best buddy has a Triumph. I use it sometimes.

Would place it between Theory and Senate.

My personal advice

A less advanced skiier will evolve faster on a less advanced ski.

This is especially important learning the course.

A more advanced ski with more carbon accelerate faster.....

.....as long as one is proper stacked.

But is harder on the body.

Craches are slightly less painfull at lower speeds.

Go for a cheap P6 and upgrade after a season or so.

That is what i would have done if I started all over again.

Best luck

• Baller

Thanks for all the feedback. Good to get perspectives from the neophyte to the professional. I appreciate all the comments and particularly enjoyed the good natured jousting between Sam and Eddie.

I get the message about the pro's running deep on the "every man's" model of ski - it's not the ski, it's the skier. Your talents will not exceed the ability of the ski, etc. Still I laugh to myself a bit, as those guys could probably do more on a 2X4 then I'll do with "just the right ski."

For what it's worth - just signing up for this site, researching skis, checking in here each day for feedback - it's great. Has me more interested in water skiing than I have been in years.

Maybe I'll drive over the Lake and watch Greg Badal run some passes.

Thanks.

• Baller

The biggest problem that a novice may have would be a ski that turned or hooked up too aggressively for them to handle. There are fin tweaks buried within these hallowed BOS threads on fin tuning. Fin back, deeper, less length, all would tend to make the ski more stable. I would watch to see what exactly was causing the issue and adjust from there.

The clear answer for me would be to ski the high performance ski at a slower speed and work on the number one problem that all (99%) novices have, and that is going into and through the wakes in a strong position. It's amazing how the turns clean up when this is worked on.

• Baller

Thanks for all your input. I purchased a 71 Senate Graphite at Wiley's last week and skied it today for the fist time.

First - Wiley's. What great people. Spent well over an hour with Darren looking at skis, and mostly shooting the sh-- about skiing. Everyone in the shop great to talk with. Best selection I've ever seen in ski gear in one place here in the West. And, you all probably know this, but the place is like a museum. Hundreds of antique and classic skis, bindings, vests, wakeboards, etc. To me, this is a mandatory tourist stop for any skier visiting Seattle.

As to to the ski -after flexing, eyeballing every square inch, staring at the skis, and staring again, I just decided the Senate felt like the best choice over the TX. Yep, gut choice. I'm sure either would be great. I also went with Wiley's bindings, which was unexpected. Walking in the shop, never thought I'd go for traditional rubber boots. Tried on several, and Wiley's just felt best.

My first Impression -my skills are less than desirable these days, and it will take some runs to get comfortable with the ski, but on the initial run, it felt great. I agree with some of the posters that I could have gotten by with the 69. But, today was one of many days that I woke up with an aching back, and the arthritis in my left hand was screaming. That pull up was right on the edge of uncomfortable on the 71 and I can only think it would be worse on the 69. I don't have a lot of pain free days, and so, if the 71 makes it even slightly easier to get up and go have some fun, I'll take it. If I should ever feel like 71 is "too much ski" that will be a great thing, and I will gladly go purchase another ski.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and input and for taking it easy on a newby to your site.

BKH