Masters Mens Slalom Final Drama

kstateskier

Freddie original score 2.5@41 pulled by the judges and given a 5@39.

Nate given the win 0@41.

Then Judges correct Freddie's score and award Freddie the win! WOW I've never seen that.

Great skiing by both guys. Nate absolutely destroyed 39. Not sure what happened at 41.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Nate should protest. Part of being the top seed is knowing the score you have to beat before you leave the dock. Judges screwed this one up.

If they needed to review the video they needed to hold Nate at the dock till Freddie's score was posted.

• Baller
The crazy thing is....they DID hold him at the dock! Then they told him 5@39. I can't believe they changed it again after Nate skied. It is disappointing that Nate didn't do more at 41. It will probably cost him the title.

• Baller
Yes absolutely killer 39 by Freddie. Great job! On another note, Ballers have been discussing their concerns about what's wrong with competitive skiing. Imagine that in tonight's NBA Eastern Conference Finals with 2 seconds to go an officials video review results in a score change giving team A, who will have possession of the ball, the lead score. Team A inbounds the ball, time runs out and the celebration begins. Seconds later the officials reverse a prior call and change the score giving team B the victory. Of course that would never happen in virtually every professional, collegiate, and high school athletic arena. Rules and officiating are an issue that keeps waterskiing out of the mainstream IMO.

• Baller

I'm sure he did. But the judges gotta make the right call the first time.....and not change it. With all the cameras and slow-mo replays, how could they basically reverse their call twice??

3@41 first call

5@39 second call

3@41 third call

Silly.

• Baller
I wonder if the boat video may have caught which color loop was on the pylon before Nates last pass. They seem to shoot the rope change regularly. It's just a rumor at this point. But I don't think this thing is going to end as quietly as it appears from the webcast.

• Baller_
Watching live Freddy should have never made it out of 3 or 5 ball at 39. Crazy athletic talent. Regardless of the final conclusion. He has given a wakup call to all contenders. Including Nate.

• Baller_
What gained fans I think was his reaction after. You could feel his excitement. Even at the end of his 39. You just wanted him to win. It's tough to topple the king in any sport. While Nate is the nicest guy on a ski it's fun to cheer for the under dog and then to see the under dog win...even better.

• Baller

Maybe Nate stood up after the gates to avoid the possibility of injury, "knowing" that he had the win. We have no idea what Nate would have done if he knew the third score that the judges were going to concoct while he was out on the water....

Nate definitely should have been granted a re-run.

Well done Freddie, I'm delighted for you mate. It did look like Nate went through the gates at 41 half heartedly. I guess he thought he might as well have a crack knowing he did not really need to, but just might get a course record. That said, Freddie's 39 was the most exiting pass I've ever seen. I reckon his arms are 2 feet longer now.

• Baller
Just another example of how our sport can and will confuse even the most dedicated fans...this is wrong on so many different accounts, I hope we can put an end to the confusion and get these things right next time.

"Do Better..."

• Baller_
They have not announced the decision. Keep in mind the announcers don't always get it right every time. What they said may not be what really happened behind the seen. It's happened in the past. I can see that happening.

• Baller

No wonder there is no TV coverage of our sport, when it lacks professionalism, it just isn,t good enough, all the good people that work so hard to promote our sport, must be tottally vexed, issues like this undo all the hard work that they have put into the sport, as far as the competitors that have paid good money for their entry go, it is just not good enough, it is shabby and must leave a bad taste, even when they put a sporting face on matters.

Professional Atheletes deserve Professional run events and Professional support.

• Baller
I think it should be score, review at speed (don't want a mistake), and maybe a challenge under special circumstances. That should be it. Also I think we should just put all 4 of them back on the water to watch great skiing a second time for the hell of it. Gotta love watching these guys.