Used Quest, Vapor, or Nano One?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

I'm looking for a used ski of one of the following types:

D3 Quest (67")

Green Radar Vapor (67")

Blue Radar Vapor (67", but this is probably a long shot)

Goode Nano One (65.25" or 66.0", I'm not sure)

I'm RFF and weight 165 lbs. I'm hoping to find a ski that is a known good performer whose owner has moved on. I spent half of last year on what turned out to be a dud because I had no point of comparison, so I don't want to repeat that mistake. I might also want to pick your brain regarding fin and binding settings on said ski as well.

I'm perhaps open to other suggestions if the argument is there. I really want to try something for a long period of time other than my current A3. Any ballers out there have something lying around!?

At your weight, I'd probably go with a 66 for the vapor or quest. I ride a green 66 vapor and I weigh 175lb. I've never skied on a quest, but I tried a nano one before I settled on the vapor. The nano one turns easy, but took more energy to ski on. I never felt early on the nano one.

• Baller
Based on my own personal experience I would say the Nano 1 would be a little risky. Some people love them. Traditionally I can ski on different skis but the Nano 1 didn't work for me. Off of that list I would say the Vapor or Quest would be good bets. While I have never skied on one I have never heard someone say the Prophecy didn't work for them.

• Baller

@Chef23,

Right now my main focus is on gates. It's the place in the course where I'm having the most trouble getting a good stack with the A3, which makes my harder passes hit or miss. The A3 seems to demand either strength which i don't have or a rapid turn with good form at the gates which I can't reliably accomplish.

I would quickly choose the ski with the most idiot proof gate turn-in characteristics if given the option.

@webbdawg99,

Damn!

• Baller

@Colebrah ,

That sounds like a good endorsement. Based on what I've heard the blue vapor is actually my first choice, but also the hardest one to find used! Seems like people are holding on to their little blue skis. Granted I don't check religiously, but I haven't yet seen a used blue vapor on ski it again, haha.

• Baller

I haven't had as much control in my gate setup than on my Mapple 6.0. It is not a ski you want to ski tentatively on though. Haven't skied on the 6.1, but it may actually suit you better.

I came off a 66.5 A2 to a 67 vapor and they are very different skis. If you felt very comfortable on the syndicate the vapor may take some time to get used to IMO. I really liked it but had to change (maybe for the better in some ways) the way I skied a bit. I felt a lot more comfortable jumping on the Mapple after riding mostly the syndicate products for a few years. My 2 cents

• Baller
I'm setting my 67" Quest aside and going back to an S2 for a little while. I feel like the Quest tracks really deep and really strongly and I remember the S2 being friendlier/less like riding on underwater rails at least at my level. What I'm saying is I may have that used Quest available soon if the S2 is as good as I remember it being.

• Baller

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't know how I will respond to a new ski at this point, but I don't think it will hurt to try. I have it in my head that while my A3 is a good ski, it might be the type of ski that amplifies my personal shortcomings (i.e. sometimes I get a smidge back at the turns/gates and the A3 becomes tail happy causing me to load early).

I think trying a new ski at this point will either help me drastically improve or conclusively prove that, as @OB said in another thread, "It's not the arrow it's the Indian". Most likely it's the Indian, but I feel like I'm in a rut with the A3 and I'm ready for a change.

@skinut,

PM sent. If I'm going to wait until after nationals for a decent deal on a blue vapor, I might just try out the green vapor in the meantime.

• Baller

@scotchipman,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do that here in a few weeks as I record video on occasion to evaluate my progress. I used to video every set, but I started finding it distracting. I was nit-picking every little detail and changing what I was working on every session, which wasn't good for consistency or progress.

Now I just go out and work on the stuff that I know needs to be fixed, then adjust based on feel. It's more fun not having to worry about video and it's been working much better for me this season.

My main problem with the gate might be that I wait a hair too late for turn in, but I don't feel comfortable making the move across course until I have a bit of positive pressure from the boat. This causes the line to load immediately and makes it more difficult to get the ski between me and the boat. Speculation of course, and video would be better, but that's my current theory.

• Baller
Hey guys, thanks for the updates. I've purchased @skinut 66" green vapor for now and it should arrive next week. I think it should more than do the trick. The earlier ski on ski-it-again wasn't quite what I was looking for (but it might be a good deal for someone else) and it looks like the used blue sticks are a bit out of my price range. Thanks ballers!