Fluid Motion for Tricks?

FrankS

I finally bought the trick ski I have been wanting for years and now I am deciding on bindings. The reflex is a bit pricey for me so for a while I had pretty much decided on a Wiley trick wrap until I looked at the fluid motion website. They have a few options that would be in my price range because they don't have external release systems. The REVO rebel Z is only $169 but it is completely lace up without any buckles. The REVO direct to plate system is a little more expensive but has buckles (a few options for the number of buckles) and their website says that it is made for trick skiing. The EVO front boot system would also be in my price range. Are any of these good options or should I just stick with a Wiley?

• Baller

Fluid Motion makes great boots and release setups for tricks. I have no idea about the specifics of their product line but I've seen and used several setups that were excellent. All those that I've seen are based on the Silveretta releasable clip and a very workable front clip. I have no problem recommending that system. The boots I've tried have felt great (modified hockey style rollerblades).

@Krlee is right, go for the clips. Without question, worth the extra money.

Releases are important. I've had major saves by the boot releasing when toe tricking. So yes, you do need a release on your boot. With that said, the worst trick injury I've seen was from a pre release doing hand tricks. He and many others are convinced that bindings should not release for hands. So he bought a second ski with a non releasable binding for hands. Others put a snowboard strap across the boot to hold it in for hands (unclip it for toes). Most just successfully use the releasable setup for everything.

I recommend the releasable hardshell over the Wileys. They are lighter, offer more support and are more comfortable. Worth the money. You'll be tricking enough hours to justify the money.

Eric

Does anyone know anything about that revo rebel z from my last comment? I know a releasable hardshell is my best option, but I'm not really able to spend that much money right now (I'm a college student).

Also if anyone has an old hardshell set up (even just the release mechanism) they are wanting to sell, I might be interested.

• Baller
I wouldn't recommend tricking on a non releasable binding unless you are very advanced. Assuming the bungee release system works I would think that Rebel Z would work fine. I know there are some people that have tricked on a Radar binding and had it release fine and the release concept is the same.

I used to ski on the FM ESeries for tricks. It didnt work out and I went to the release system. I am now on the Reflex and its worth noting that the Reflex release units are a much better. FM use the Silvretta 303 release that I believe was discontinued many years ago, whereas the Reflex went to the 500 and now 750 series release which includes stainless parts for less corrosion and longer service live.