HO Double Attack vs RTP

matias

• Baller

Hy, My name is Matias and im from Uruguay South America.

I buying on the US a 2014 HO CX and didn't decide yet on the bindings.

Im not a pro skier but i plan skiing hard next summer. Im skiing on bad single Connelly from a combo pair at about 28-30 mph, and not falling a lot. I ski I a lot wen I was young and came back last summer after 10-12 years. Feels like riding a bicycle!

Im planing to jump on double attack 2015 XMax boots. Do you think is too much? Im worried about posible injuries? Im pretty risky.

The other option is going on RTP on the back foot, but because in Uruguay there isn't places to buy skiing stuff, what I buy now will probable define skiing for the years to come, and I don't want to regret my purchase.

Thanks for the advice,

Matias.

• Baller
I started skiing double bindings but switched to a RTP after my first year. I feel like I ski better with double bindings, I feel slightly more secure but the freedom of a RTP and giving my back foot a rest between sets is well worth the trade off.

• Baller

@matias the old Connelly you ski on now probably has a RTP. If it does, do you not feel secure using the RTP now?

A long time ago I was in your situation and I never felt comfortable using a RTP, it always felt like I was trying to keep my rear foot in the toe plate rather than concentrate on skiing. For this reason I went to double boots.

The choice is a personal preference. Many will confirm that either double boots or front boot with a RTP have their own good and bad points.

I have tried to use a RTP since skiing on double boots and I can never get comfortable with a RTP. I would just consider the question I asked above for your personal preference.

• Baller

@wayne Thanks for the help. The Connelly is RTP feels like it always coming off, but sure HO's RTP is much better quality and feel. Believe me when I say that the Ski Im riding is old and bad.

What about falling with the double attack? Is it dangerous for the ancle?

how must it be used, loosen or very tight?

• Baller

@matias even with a good RTP I feel like I can't keep my rear foot in place. I want to restate, this is my personal feeling. There are a lot of people who ski very good with a RTP.

I have not used HO attacks on the water, I have only tried a set in a pro shop. They are very similar to Radar Vectors, which is what I am using right now. All bindings have risks for injury, there are many discussion on this site about the safety of different binding designs.

The HO bindings should be adjusted very similar to the Radar ones I use. The upper lace can be snug but it needs to still stretch to let your foot out in a fall. The lower lace can be adjusted very tight and not influence the release as much.

I always get my ski and feet wet, adjust the bindings and then try to pull my foot out. As long as you can remove your foot with out too much force you should come out of them in a fall. Just don't overnighten the upper lace and they will provide you as intended performance/safety.