Trick Ski Binding

JWebSki

• Baller
Does anyone have a suggestion for a trick ski binding? I am looking for a hardshell option. It is going to be used for hand tricks. I see a lot of people using reflex but many people say they aren't durable and wear out pretty quickly. Ive also looked at the fluid motion bindings but their main trick ski binding is a non-release. I'm assuming I want a binding that will release, right? Currently I am using my old strada binding that came off my slalom ski, which definitely is not the best option for a trick binding. What is the best option for a trick binding?

• Baller
I use the OB4 for trick and prefer the release style over the Silvretta options because of the rotational release abality and its abality to release upwards. Learning new tricks on hands and toes always leads to lots of falls and the OB4 releasing helps prevent those hard falls and allows you to train longer and harder with a reliable release.

• Baller
definitely would go with a reflex. I just switched from a Wiley and my very first set on the reflex was the best set of my life. It will make you a better tricker right away and you'll be glad you got one.

• Baller

Reflex. Look at what the majority of pros use. We put all three kids on Reflex for trick over the past 2 years, and now they have them for slalom as well. Noticeable improvement in both events.

As a caveat. Some of the pros use Wiley's with the stiffer rubber/EVA stuff. I have just gotten to the point where I don't want to mess with rubber at all. Unfortunately I have a couple that are likely going to jump. Great, double wraps...

• Baller
Just because the pros use it, does not make it the best for every skier. Reflex is just what was available until now, and most skiers hate to change boots that they are accustom to. The kids that have made the switch to OB4 love it for tricks. My daughter grew up tricking using the OB4 style release, and now tricks 3500-4000 points.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I think hardshell is good for control. Reflex, Fluid Motion or OB4 should all work. I put my son on a Reflex back when he was in a size 4 shell and he used it for trick and slalom. Unfortunately we bought our stuff the year before they went to the 500 release so I am still using the old 404 and scavenging parts whenever I kind find them.

• Baller
@JWebSki you can use almost any type hard shell or soft fit boot on the OB4 System. Most trickers are using some type of hard shell boot. My daughter, @MattP, and I use an OB4 hard shell boot for tricks.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller